Anonymous

Speedo needle bouncing

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
mmi16
Rust Hunter

Speedo needle bouncing

Postby mmi16 » 18 Oct 2016 17:16

The Speedo needle is bouncing over a 10 MPH range in the 'neighborhood' of the speed I am traveling. The Tach needle is rock steady. What gives with the Speedo?
You're never too old to have a happy childhood!

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Re: Speedo needle bouncing

Postby FI Spyder » 18 Oct 2016 18:31

The tach is electronic(electric). The speedo is mechanical.The bouncing is usually due to a damaged/dry cable. Pull it and see if it is unravelling (any strands broken). If it's dry lube it. You can buy cable lube or some people use their own adopted/made up lubrication. The other possibility is the EGR/Oxygen sensor counter may dry and need lubrication (if you have it).
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 18 Oct 2016 20:13

I have the normal (UK) straight speedo cable and it bounces up to around 20mph then becomes steady. I changed the cable to a new one to cure it but it did not make one iota of difference. Good luck.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

littlepippin
Rust Hunter

Postby littlepippin » 19 Oct 2016 08:48

Lie in the road or on your garage floor, with your head in the foot well, car yoga, look up and see if you can see where the cable goes in.
Disconnect it and pull it through the bulkhead just a little bit, and try to make sure you can reconnect it without any sharp bends in it, and a straight in route to the back of the speedometer.
Make sure it's plugged in fully (mine was hard to remove/reconnect)
This all but eliminated my wobble, but I still get a little bit at 30MPH (the speedo needle not me) but I'm sure that when I get around to playing with it a bit more, I can get rid of it altogether.

Worth a go.

mmi16
Rust Hunter

Postby mmi16 » 21 Oct 2016 02:55

The older I get, the more difficult 'car yoga' becomes.
You're never too old to have a happy childhood!

Howard_B
Rust Hunter

Postby Howard_B » 24 Oct 2016 00:01

The problem on mine was inside the speedo unit itself - possibly the bearing had dried out. Anyway I disconnected the cable & sprayed and squirted the inside of the speedo drive with WD40. If I recall right that was a couple of years ago and 6kmiles. Since then there has been no further problems & the readings remain steady.

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 29 Oct 2016 23:08

littlepippin wrote:Make sure it's plugged in fully (mine was hard to remove/reconnect)

This happened to me with a new cable. It kept slipping off the back of the speedo after 5 to 6 miles. It's replacement worked fine.

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 31 Oct 2016 11:04

I thought it was natural for the speedo needle to bounce a little. Oh no, that is another job on the list of things to do. I really must start getting some of these jobs off the list :-)