Anonymous

Fuel & coolant lights not working

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
Traindriver69
Wedgling

Fuel & coolant lights not working

Postby Traindriver69 » 17 Sep 2016 17:33

Hi all
On my TR7 the low fuel and coolant light are not working I have checked the bulbs and they are working.
Any ideas?

littlepippin
Rust Hunter

Re: Fuel & coolant lights not working

Postby littlepippin » 21 Sep 2016 14:51

I'm not sure about the fuel circuit, but the coolant I think there should be a wire connected to your coolant reservoir tank, if not it may be dangling down somewhere below amongst the headlight wiring (mine was). Inside the water tank is a metal probe that relies on water being around it to complete a circuit to ground through the tank (so I guess you may also need to check the bolts are not too rusty and can make negative earth).

If you find the wire you could just ground it to the body/engine somewhere to check the circuit.

Sean.

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 21 Sep 2016 15:51

The low fuel light: there is a third wire connection at the sender by the gas tank, there is the sender itself, there is the wiring to the instrument panel (broken wire/bad connection on either end), there is a delay module on the back of the instrument panel (with it's connections) that prevents the light from flickering on and off when you get to that level and the gas is sloshing around in the tank. Without looking at the diagram I believe if you ground the wire at the sender that goes to the low light it should come on. It it does it's a sender problem. If it doesn't it's a wire/connection/delay/bulb problem.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

Traindriver69
Wedgling

Postby Traindriver69 » 01 Oct 2016 07:33

Sorted the coolant light out it was the sensor under the dash just the fuel one to sort.

supercass
Swagester

Postby supercass » 02 Oct 2016 20:23

I understand that the ethanol in fuel tends to destroy the contacts in the original sender units. My car was in dry storage for some years prior to the use of ethanol content fuels and when recommissioned the fuel sender was working fine. A few gallons of petrol later it wasn't. Coincidence perhaps but I think otherwise. supercass

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 03 Oct 2016 15:33

After cleaning my sender unit to get a bit of rust off it, it was a bit iffy when putting a meter on it. I put it in anyway thinking I could change it out later as it was close to time to put it on the road (spring). It worked great in tank after gasoline was put in tank. I use regular gas (10% ethanol around here) for last 9 years and it has been reliable and accurate ever since. I've just recently been using mid grade gas (5% ethanol). Ethanol hasn't affected it (at least in that concentration).
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT