Anonymous

Stupid question?

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
Traindriver69
Wedgling

Stupid question?

Postby Traindriver69 » 15 Sep 2016 18:53

Hi all
It's the first time I have owned a TR7 I have always loved the look of then.
The one I brought was the first I viewed it needs a bit of work doing to it although it is on the road but I want to keep everything standard which comes to my question it has a stainless steel exhaust and it sounds quite meaty from the back box were 2.0l TR7s quite loud from new or is it an aftermarket exhaust doing it. Sorry if I am being thick.

stevie_a
TRemendous

Re: Stupid question?

Postby stevie_a » 15 Sep 2016 20:08

Hi and welcome to the addiction of the TR7, the standard TR7 exhaust is not loud, so answer to your question

It is the exhaust!
If it's not broke don't fix it.

Henry
Wedgling

Postby Henry » 19 Sep 2016 11:40

Welcome Traindriver69!
Stainless steel exhausts do tend to sound a bit loud,and tinny, until they soot up a little.
My Triumphs:
TR7 V8 KDM995Y Current
GT6 PUD612M still in family
TR7 V8 PLK224W Sold
TR7 donor car for PLK224W
GT6 written off
2.5 PI saloon - sold

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 19 Sep 2016 13:28

and after market exhausts can become a touch louder or boomer if the packing inside settles with age. It's possible the previous owner went down the S/S sports exhaust route and you have one of those.

The standard rear silencer was fairly restrictive back in the day and mine only lasted a couple of years on a car that covered 12,000 miles a year. I cut an old one up and there were a number of baffles making the gases change direction.

From tuning articles back in the day, fitting a less restrictive exhaust system and / or a less restrictive air filter like a K&N changes the carburettors view of the engine. This would have required a change of metering needles in the carb's to keep on top of the fuelling mixture and released a few extra bhp that these mods bring. I posted an article about Triumphtune a few years ago which detailed these, Triumph Over Adversity.

No question too stupid, unless it comes from me :D

Tamas Petrunin
Scuttle Shaker

Postby Tamas Petrunin » 19 Sep 2016 18:07

Traindriver69 wrote:it has a stainless steel exhaust and it sounds quite meaty from the back box were 2.0l TR7s quite loud from new or is it an aftermarket exhaust doing it.

Just make friends with someone whose got a TR7 with a V8 engine in it, you'll soon be thinking your's is quiet :twisted:

Mines got a large bore single box and it is proper noisy and I love it, mind you my TR7 suffers from claustrophobia, everytime I drive through a tunnel it panics and races for the other end :D
Cheers TP
Driving a V8 Inca Yellow fhc, now begins the endless quest of tinkering...

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 19 Sep 2016 21:25

And I thought only my 7V8 did that :D

Traindriver69
Wedgling

Postby Traindriver69 » 20 Sep 2016 21:37

It also has k&n filters on it but my daily drive is a Jaguar XF so maybe I have been spoilt with quietness