Anonymous

Exhaust Rubber Hangers

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
MikeRotherham
Rust Hunter

Exhaust Rubber Hangers

Postby MikeRotherham » 03 Aug 2016 16:04

The rear rubber exhaust hangers have perished on my standard TR7 after only a couple of years.

Remembering the problem using the existing rubber rings the last time. The standard rubber rings part number GEX7487 were too small and had to use some from a Rover SD1 that I purchased from Rimmers part number SR34H.

The problem I have is the rear exhaust box fouls the nearside lashing point.

The exhaust is an aftermarket stainless system that the previous owner fitted. Supplied by Rimmers part number RB7021

I was wondering if anyone else had had this problem and had used an alternative exhaust hanger.

All the ones I can find aren't long enough to allow the rear box to hang low enough to clear the lashing point.

Regards

Mike.

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Re: Exhaust Rubber Hangers

Postby FI Spyder » 03 Aug 2016 18:09

My most rear hanger is custom one but you might try asking at you local muffler shop and see if they have any larger rubber doughnuts that might work.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 03 Aug 2016 19:20

I have a Rimmers SS exhaust and use rubber rings from Halfords, can't remember the size, about 2" I think. I found the 'standard' ones were too small and pulled the exhaust onto the body. I do 'tie' the middle with zip ties so it looks like an '8' so that it cannot bounce off and it keeps the tangs tight in their parts of the loop.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

HDRider
Swagester

Postby HDRider » 04 Aug 2016 18:12

The rubber hangers are used by many cars and your local auto parts dealer should have a good selection. There some hangers that have a center web which will limit the rebound. These can be helpful as we. Here is a link to Napa Auto parts in the States that shows this type of hanger.

http://www.napaprolink.com/Detailmi.aspx?R=EXT35143

That said I have had issues with exhaust systems fouling on the rear tie down in the past. Generally you can loosen the clamps and rotate the various pipes to move the rear muffler slightly to the left. Be sure that you don't get the portion that goes over the rear axle into a position where the axle will hit if the rear of the car is loaded down. I have found that with two people and a trunk full of groceries it is quite easy to get the axle too hit the bump stops on a rough road.

Edward Hamer
Petaluma CA

HDRider
Swagester

Postby HDRider » 04 Aug 2016 18:16

I just noticed that there is a "buyers guide" at the bottom of the page of the link from my previous post. It lists the various types of cars that this fits. You should be able to use that information to look up the part on your local FLAP's web site.

Edward Hamer
Petaluma CA

MikeRotherham
Rust Hunter

Postby MikeRotherham » 11 Aug 2016 13:20

Thanks for your replies.

I think I have worked out what the problem is.

For reasons only known to himself, the previous owner swapped the stainless steel manifold (the front section of the exhaust system) for a cast iron manifold and mild steel downpipe with an adapter to join onto the remainder of the stainless exhaust system. This has had the effect of pushing the rest of the system towards the back of the car hence the fouling of the lashing point.

Not sure how I'm going to resolve this at present. Whether to improve the 'bodge', that is there at present if that is possible, or fit the brand new standard stainless system that I have.

I quite like the look and sound of what is on at present though.

Regards
Mike.