Anonymous

2L Sub-frame fittings

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
johnnyj
Rust Hunter

2L Sub-frame fittings

Postby johnnyj » 13 Jul 2016 19:54

Hello and pic below relates!

I am just refitting my rebuilt sub-frame and have all new parts (bolts, spacers, washers, rubbers etc). However I am really struggling as, if I fit the washers XKC670, the spacers UKC309 and UKC308 create too much of a gap and are stopped from fitting snugly in the rubbers UKC307 and 159209 below. This lengthens the whole assembly such that the bolts are not long enough to take the nyloc nut on the end. If I remove the washers, the whole lot goes together perfectly.

So, I guess what I am asking is, should the washers XKC670 fit around/over the spacers rather than just meet them? I hope that makes sense. All parts are brand new and the only questionable bit I can think of is the washers, which were bought as one of those "complete bolt/washer/nut" kits in a bag off ebay - albeit specifically for this job. Perhaps the inner diameter of the washers should be bigger to allow the spacer to feed through. As shown on the pic, I can't see the purpose of the washers, as they appear to sit between the bottom of the sub-frame and top of the lower rubber.

Hope someone can throw some light on it!

Cheers

John
Attachments
GRID006136.gif
GRID006136.gif (66.2 KiB) Viewed 2853 times
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977
http://t-r-7.blogspot.co.uk

busheytrader
TRemendous

Re: 2L Sub-frame fittings

Postby busheytrader » 15 Jul 2016 10:17

Hi Johnny,

I've done this job twice, first to replace the steel sleeves / bushes that had rusted away when I converted to V8 back in 1991, then again about 10 years ago when I changed to poly bushes. I can't remember the order as I swapped out parts like by like one corner of the subframe at a time.

However, I remember this as a thread some time back and found this using the search function.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13529&p=224738&hilit=Subframe+bush+order#p224738

I vaguely recollect some threads advising that the diagram from the parts book showed the subframe components in the wrong order. Rimmers diagrams are faithful copies of this. I could be wrong though.

Hope this helps,

Adam

TR7 V8 DHC Jaguar Solent Blue. 9.35cr Range Rover V8, Holley 390cfm, JWR Dual Port, Lumention, Tubular Manifolds, S/S Single Pipe Exh, 3.08 Rear Axle, 200lb Spax & PolyBushes all round, Anti- Dive, Strut-Top Roller Bearings, Capri Vented Discs & Calipers, Braided Hoses, 4 Speed Rear Cylinders, Uprated Master Cylinder & Servo, AT 14" 5 Spokes or Maestro Turbo 15" Alloys, Cruise Lights, S/S Heater Pipes, Replacement Fuel Tank. No Door Stickers. Mine since July 1986, V8 from 1990 courtesy of S&S V8 conversion kit (built not bought) and big brake kit.

johnnyj
Rust Hunter

Postby johnnyj » 15 Jul 2016 19:10

You, Sir, are an absolute star.
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977

johnnyj
Rust Hunter

Postby johnnyj » 19 Jul 2016 06:18

Right, I can categorically say that the washers, UKC670, do not fit as per the diagram (between the top of the lower rubber bush and the underside of the subframe). They would fit if the diameter of their internal holes were bigger, but they're not and as they came from a reputable supplier I am going to assume...well, not sure what to assume really.

I chucked them in my big tub of washers and bolts, and now everything fits together perfectly. :lol:
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977