Anonymous

Electronic Ignition Conversion

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
pandemonium
Wedgling

Accuspark

Postby pandemonium » 28 Feb 2014 06:51

Just bought an Accuspark electronic ignition kit and I've been reading some post on the forum. I've discovered that its not as easy as I first thought, so I've been practicing on a spare distributor, and to be fair its not that hard to install, but can anyone help:
Does the small black earth wire remain fastened under the Accuspark block with the heat sink paste? this wire originally went under the condenser
Do you keep the weights and small springs on or remove?
There is talk on the forum that the red wire needs to routed to the steering column is this correct or can you just connect to the + side of the coil?
I'm at a stage where I am considering bottling it and keeping the points.

Neil_W
Swagester

Postby Neil_W » 28 Feb 2014 11:44

Don't give up.
I fitted a alternative unit which didn't need the removal of the distributor but the wiring should be the same ( hopefully )

The small earthing wire needs to be refitted as before prior to taking the point off.

The Black wire from the electronic unit – attached a male Spade connector to the wire once fed through the distributor grommet & connect to the female connector for the wire which goes to the –ve connection of the coil / tacho. You would have removed this connection when taking off the original wiring as the black goes to a spade connection then the wire extends onto the coil. You only have to connect the new wire to the spade connection in the wire.

From the Ignition switch inside the car, trace the white wire which is the 12 volts switchable supply & can be found easily without removing the Steering Column cover – place the scotch connector to this wire & a length of wire into the other side of the scotch connector to run the wire to the red wire of the Electronic Unit via any blanking grommet in the engine bay. I used spade connectors to allow easy connection of the wires & removal if required.

Depending on how you want the wiring to look – I fitted cable protection sleeves to the 2 wires from the distributor so no coloured wires were visible giving an original look.

All the weights & springs should be kept as you are only replacing the 'points' part of the distributor.

Plenty of people have fitted the Accuspark unit so there should be a few more responses in the next few days.

This is why this forum is so good - advise is always freely given.

g4zur
Rust Hunter

Postby g4zur » 02 Mar 2014 16:00

Hi
Please fit the accuspark unit, I did mine in september last year, the advice you have been given was 100%. I wasn't looking forward to doing it but I must say for a novice like me It was easy. I too tapped into the thick white wire from Ignition switch, The only difficult bit I found was getting at the distributor securing bolts. The special spanner makes life so much easier.
You fit it, You won't regret it. Good luck.
Regards Gareth.

G.P.Albrighton

pandemonium
Wedgling

Postby pandemonium » 11 Mar 2014 06:34

Thanks Neil for your detailed advice and great photo, I've installed the Accuspark unit this weekend and your instructions[:)] were a great help, in fact I don't think I would have tackled the job job without it.
I fed the red wire through the baulkhead, i didn't use a scotch connector, I nicked and stripped back the white wire and intertwined the end of the red with the white and then soldered into place, I then encapsulated the loom in insulation tape to make look original.
I timed with a strobe light and road tested today, the car seems to pull well and idle smooth so I can recommend the Accuspark.[:)]

Neil_W
Swagester

Postby Neil_W » 11 Mar 2014 11:08

Great to hear your are all sorted - you'll find the guys on this forum excellant for getting any info on any problem - someone somewhere will always have an answer.

twoboys
Wedgling

Electronic Ignition Conversion

Postby twoboys » 17 Apr 2014 13:54

Thoughts on this guys and girls please......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR7-A ... 48434519ba

.....Anyone fitted one of these, or anything similar to one of these. Seems much easier than the Lumenition systems to fit and it's much cheaper as well.......but are they any good?

Cheese? Really? How on earth does it look like a block of cheese?

moodyblue
Rust Hunter

Postby moodyblue » 17 Apr 2014 16:42

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stealth-Elect ... 1717wt_922

I bought this one, and fitted it over a weekend. I had to strip the distributor, but at least it made me clean and lubricate everything while I was at it. It's a bit of a pain but one it's done you should find it runs better, and no more points to worry about. I wish I hadn't bothered messing around with polybushes and uprated springs etc, but this modification is the best, and one of the easiest, upgrades I made to the car.

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 17 Apr 2014 18:34

The first Accuspark needs removal and a lot of stripping of the distributor to fit the trigger ring, which is a pain on the 7. The second looks a lot like the Aldon Ignitor which I fitted, albeit a lot cheaper. Assuming there are no hidden parts to be fitted and it is triggered by the proximity of the cam lobes it should be much easier to fit. I did mine in situ without removal of the distributor - and electronic ignition is well worth it. Once it is set up there is no more playing with points every few thousand (or hundred) miles and it runs much more smoothly.

Just noticed that there appears to be a trigger ring hiding behind the unit on the second, in which case I would recommend the Aldon Ignitor from Retro Rockets (US company but supply from the UK and cheaper than direct UK supply) unless you enjoy pulling and stripping the distributor.

Alan
Saab 9000 Stg 1 (now passed to son for his family car)
Saab 9000 2.3 FPT Auto (now gone that others might live)
Saab 9000 2.3 LPT Auto (sold on, wish I had it back)
Saab 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate
'81 TR7 DHC

g4zur
Rust Hunter

Postby g4zur » 17 Apr 2014 20:07

Hi

I fitted the accuspark unit last september and it hasn't missed a beat, I strongly reccomend you fit it, yes you have to remove the dizzy but as long as you have a spanner that fits it isn't difficult.
Go for it, you will be pleased you did.
Regards Gareth

G.P.Albrighton

Workshop Help
TRiffic

Postby Workshop Help » 18 Apr 2014 01:23

On this side of the ocean, we call these things Pertronix Ignitors. I have used them for the past 116,000 miles and 25 years. They are very good.

Mildred Hargis

twoboys
Wedgling

Postby twoboys » 18 Apr 2014 06:24

Thank you for the help. I'm going to go for the second one......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stealth-Elect ... 1717wt_922

.....might be back if I get stuck but it appears pretty simple.....famous last words!

Cheese? Really? How on earth does it look like a block of cheese?

jkosturik
Wedgling

Re: ACCUSPARK

Postby jkosturik » 31 Aug 2016 22:48

I am interested in converting to electronic ignition. I want to use the PerTronix Ignitor MR-LS2. When I looked at the PerTronix Ignitor MR-LS2 on their web site it said it was for a Marelli distributor so I called them to make sure it would work for my Delco D302. They told me D302 is not the full number and the MR-LS2 and it only works for the Delco D302-7992715. When I looked at my distributor mine is Delco D302-9977215. I am looking for anyone else that might have this Delco D302-9977215 and converted it to electronic ignition.

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 01 Sep 2016 12:32

Not sure what they are getting at, I just ordered the Pertronix kit (from Retro Rockets, cheaper) without looking at the second part of the number on my distributor. (I think Neil used photos of mine in his writeup). It all worked fine and I have never looked at it since it was installed some years ago.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

jkosturik
Wedgling

Postby jkosturik » 01 Sep 2016 14:40

I checked the Retro Rockets site. They list on their site that the MR-LS2 suppots:

TR7, non-US cars, w/D302-7992715 dist.,
Lobe Sensor Ignitor

Maybe the distributor on your car was the D302-7992715.

I am torn what to do. I really don't want to take the distributor out so the accuspark is not an option. I don't know if I should take a chance on the MR-LS2.

jkosturik
Wedgling

Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion

Postby jkosturik » 01 Sep 2016 15:43

I am interested in converting to electronic ignition on the Delco D302 distributor on my 1980 Triumph TR7.

If I use the AccuSpark Electronic ignition system some of the car forums are saying I will need to remove the distributor to install a trigger ring? I did not see anything like that in the instructions on the AccuSpark site. I also saw a good Youtube video on the install and they did it without removal. I am suspecting there was an older version of the AccuSpark that needed removal. Can anyone confirm they have done the AccuSpark install without removal of the distributor?

I looked at the PerTronix Ignitor and here is my problem with that one:

I want to use the PerTronix Ignitor MR-LS2. When I looked at the PerTronix Ignitor MR-LS2 on their web site it said it was for a Marelli distributor so I called them to make sure it would work for my Delco D302. They told me D302 is not the full number and the MR-LS2 and it only works for the Delco D302-7992715. When I looked at my distributor mine is Delco D302-9977215. I am looking for anyone else that might have this Delco D302-9977215 and converted it to electronic ignition using the PerTronix Ignitor.