Anonymous

Electronic Ignition Conversion

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
jkosturik
Wedgling

Re: Accuspark

Postby jkosturik » 01 Sep 2016 16:22

It looks like you guys have done the AccuSpark install without removing the distributor. I am not seeing the photos Neil posted. Is there any way I can get a copy?

Was this AccuSpark installed on the Delco D302 distributor? And was it with the coil that has a ballast resistor?

timcar
Wedgling

Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion

Postby timcar » 01 Sep 2016 16:22

I fitted the Accuspark system 2 years ago and 5,000 miles.
Yes it was easier to remove the distributer than work in situ, but apart from really fiddly small clamp bolts found it quite straightforward.
No problems at all since then and I would recommend it highly as a low cost, fit and forget system.

saabfast
TRiffic

Re: Accuspark

Postby saabfast » 01 Sep 2016 22:05

As far as I know you have to remove the distributor and strip it to fit the Accuspark as it has a trigger ring which fits over the cam. The Delco distributor has the centrif weights on the top unlike most others which prevents direct fitting without removal. (I have fitted Accuspark to a Viva with a standard distributor which was easy). That's why I fitted the Pertronix, removing the TR7 distributor is a PIA. Of course, the Accuspark may have changed in the last 5 years.

The coil was not changed for the TR7 or Viva installation. My TR7 still has the standard 6V coil with resistor wire.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

jkosturik
Wedgling

Re: ACCUSPARK

Postby jkosturik » 02 Sep 2016 04:14

I called PerTronix and Retro Rockets. They both said the Pertronix kit will not work on my Delco D302-9977215. Looks like I am going to have to go with the AccuSpark and hope that it has changed and I won't need to remove the distributor.

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 02 Sep 2016 12:53

I must have been lucky, but looking in the manual I have the only AC Delco D302 fitted was the 7992715 (UK market). Other distributors were Lucas (UK and overseas). Maybe your car is later than the manual covers (although my car is an '81 so would have thought reasonably final) or has had it changed at some time.
I note there is another thread which says the Accuspark is now available in a form where you don't need to remove the distributor.
Good luck whichever.
Alan
'81 TR7 DHC

sonscar
Wedge Pilot

Postby sonscar » 02 Sep 2016 19:41

I fitted an AAccuspark to my car two years ago and had to remove the distributor to fit the trigger ring.It is a fiddly task but not difficult but a separate 12volt supply is needed for the module(switched)and the ballasted coil remains.This is well covered in the supplied instructions.The Timing Will need checking/resetting upon completion as it will have moved.Steve.

Xenon1000
Wedgling

Postby Xenon1000 » 31 Oct 2021 10:23

Hi
I just ordered the PerTronix Ignitor
Anyone fitted one ?

dursleyman
TRiffic

Postby dursleyman » 05 Nov 2021 15:03

Just put a Pertronix in my Strint engined TR7 after a Lumenition Optronic failure. The optical bit in the dizzy failed.

The Pertronix fired up OK and seems to be working well. Its the Lucas 44D4 dizzy.
Russ

1981 TR7 Sprint DHC & 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC
Dursley
UK

http://tr7russ.blogspot.co.uk/

Image Image

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 05 Nov 2021 16:11

I put Pertronix in my car years ago. Was not really sure I trusted it so left it so that I could change back to pints but never have done. It is as easy as fitting new points so a slight faff but not too bad. You need an additional ignition switched feed to the dizzy unit, I think I took that from the ignition switch. When you first put the sensor in and start it it will be a bit rough running as the timing needs resetting as the sensor picks up in a different position to the heel of the points (I did it with a strobe).
Alan
'81 TR7 DHC

dursleyman
TRiffic

Postby dursleyman » 07 Nov 2021 17:28

saabfast wrote:I put Pertronix in my car years ago. Was not really sure I trusted it so left it so that I could change back to pints but never have done. It is as easy as fitting new points so a slight faff but not too bad. You need an additional ignition switched feed to the dizzy unit, I think I took that from the ignition switch. When you first put the sensor in and start it it will be a bit rough running as the timing needs resetting as the sensor picks up in a different position to the heel of the points (I did it with a strobe).

saabfast, yes I already had a 12 volt ignition live that I did for the Lumenition so that now feeds the Pertronix. Bit of a fiddle to install as its down under the 45DHLA manifold so I had to be careful not to drop the little screws inside the dizzy! A magnetic screwdriver is your friend.
I had to swing the dizzy about 30 degrees to get it to the 10 degrees BTDC at idle so was glad I had modified the dizzy mounting plate with some extra threaded holes to give more adjustment. The Sprint 44D4 dizzy bolts to this plate, not directly to the block.
Attachments
2019-08-24_dist_mounting_plate mod crop.jpg
2019-08-24_dist_mounting_plate mod crop.jpg (215.14 KiB) Viewed 4493 times
Russ

1981 TR7 Sprint DHC & 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC
Dursley
UK

http://tr7russ.blogspot.co.uk/

Image Image