Anonymous

TR7/8 Roll over bar.

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
atc40
Scuttle Shaker

Postby atc40 » 19 Sep 2013 19:28

Okay Guys,
Rivnuts are out and welded plates are in.
Thank you all for your useful and practical comments.
Andy.

sonscar
Wedge Pilot

Postby sonscar » 20 Sep 2013 15:31

My dhc has an Aleybars roll bar fitted.When my son owned the car I would gaze at the 25mm or so of threaded bar sticking out of the mounting plates on the sides and wonder why they had not been fitted the other way around.After removing the bar for repairs I find that the bolts have been fitted into the B post reinforcer from the inside,no mean feat as I cannot now remove them from their new home in the bottom of said section.This was obviously a cosmetic addition.Were there any instructions supplied when purchased?Steve..

atc40
Scuttle Shaker

Postby atc40 » 21 Sep 2013 09:24

No instructions supplied, bought off owner that never fitted it. Anyone have instructions they could post on Forum, could save further questions in the future.
Have looked at fitting plate with captive nuts on but cannot see where it would go! Surely it needs to be between the stiffening section and it`s back, but how do you get to it?
If you drill a hole through into the wheel arch you would then deform the stiffener.
Pictures please, anyone?
Thanks.
Andy

dursleyman
TRiffic

Postby dursleyman » 04 Oct 2013 23:16

When I bought my first TR7 about 10 years ago it had an Aley roll hoop but I found it was just placed on position and never bolted in at all!!

Anyway here is a picture of the fixing on those side stiffening box sections. As described in my post above some 10mm nuts (17mm heads) are welded to a 2-3mm plate. A couple of holes big enough to accept the nuts are the drilled in the body and the plate can be welded over them as shown. You then have a decent mounting built into your car.

The mountings on the rear parcel shelf just need some good sized washers/plates underneath.

Russ

1980 TR7 Sprint DHC
Dursley
UK

http://tr7russ.blogspot.co.uk/

Image Image

Thomas
Scuttle Shaker

Re: TR7/8 Roll over bar.

Postby Thomas » 20 May 2017 14:04

Thanks for all the messages. I am a little confused why everyone uses the word "side mount". My roll bar, designed for the TR7, has top mounting brackets and bottom mounting brackets that are vertical. Ain't no side anything. What is everyone referring to?
Tom

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 20 May 2017 20:55

There is a plate welded to the side of the long tube which rests on the floor. That plate has holes for bolts into the plate in the body as shown in the photo above. Mine (Aley) does not have any fixing plate on the bottom of the tube. However, they do do a 4 point competition bolt in cage which I think bolts to the floor an may be what you have.
http://www.safetydevices.com/motorsport ... /354/1184/
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

Thomas
Scuttle Shaker

Postby Thomas » 20 May 2017 21:19

Nah. I just have what is in your picture. Getting bolts through the top shelf looks like a major project, perhaps remove fuel tank and everything else underneath. Bolting the bottom through has me baffled as the top of surface is flat but underneath is ~ 2 inches thick and has irregular boxing. How on earth do you get a bottom plate to work there! Can these rollbars be welded in....or is the metal (of the car) too thin for that?
Tom

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 20 May 2017 22:25

The picture I linked was the alternative with floor mounting. No idea how it is fixed, maybe a bracket around the chassis boxing below?
Rimmers site has a picture of the standard Aley roll bay:
https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RB7271
You can see the side plates described in the thread and it does not have floor mountings.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

Thomas
Scuttle Shaker

Postby Thomas » 21 May 2017 22:57

Thanks,
I knew what you were talking about. I just don't have that kind of roll bar. It does fit the car perfectly but the brackets at the bottom mount to the floor, and the top of the parcel tray of course. Fitting them inside the car is no problem....attaching them with bolts is going to be a mystery.
Tom

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 22 May 2017 15:29

Every time I see or read about a roll over bar I'm reminded of the evening my neighbour and I were coming home after a round of golf. At a curve there was an MG Midget on its passenger side with the driver slumped from his seat, still wearing his seat belt fully extended with his head resting in his girl friend's/wife's bloodied lap as she knelt on the roadway. My friend got out of the car to offer his industrial first aid knowledge to the previously just arrived RCMP officer but he said it would be of no service and waved us past. Don't know how it could have happened (gentle curve) or why the passenger appeared to have no injuries but I always suspected the pub down the road at the ocean's edge may have had something to do with it. Roll bar was of no help in that instance. Later found out it was a relation of a lady I worked with but she had no details. Being summer with little/no rain the large blood stain on the road way was there for months as a reminder.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

mmi16
Rust Hunter

Postby mmi16 » 27 Jul 2017 23:51

A Roll bar is a safety device!

Anyone that installs it as a decoration deserves to lose their head!

I needs to be installed so that at the mounting points it will not punch or pull through the part of the car it is attached to.
You're never too old to have a happy childhood!

dursleyman
TRiffic

Postby dursleyman » 28 Jul 2017 17:14

Thomas wrote:Thanks for all the messages. I am a little confused why everyone uses the word "side mount". My roll bar, designed for the TR7, has top mounting brackets and bottom mounting brackets that are vertical. Ain't no side anything. What is everyone referring to?
Tom

Thomas, this is how the standard Aley type roll bar that most folks have looks when its fitted in the car. We welded some captive nuts on a plate which is then welded to the car for the side mountings. See pictures earlier in this post. The top mounts through the parcel shelf with two bolts and you can safely drill there for the bolts - but do it carefully! Its a bit of a fiddle to reach up underneath for the plates/washers/bolts with the tank in but I did mine OK.

Now you describe a different kind of mounting for the main hoop with a plate on the floor so you are going to need something to spread the load welded to the floor so you could use captive welded nuts on the back of it.
Russ

1981 TR7 Sprint DHC & 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC
Dursley
UK

http://tr7russ.blogspot.co.uk/

Image Image