Anonymous

air filter

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 19 Nov 2009 05:27

<font size="2"><font face="Comic Sans MS">1st up welcome,
The carbies you have are a Zenith/ Stromberg CD 175 the CD bit refers to them being a constant depression type carbie and the 175 bit means it is a 1 3/4" carbie the bolt pattern is the same as for SU 1 3/4" carbies so the filters are largely interchangeable (Though I have had to drill extra holes the backing plates of filters meant to specially suit SU's to adapt them to fit Strombies as not all after-market filters are drilled for both)

Now I'm guessing you are from the US (It helps us help you if you say where you are. we don't need your address just city, state or province would do)There are a number of possibilities for you but we need to know where you are so those of us with local knowledge most relevant to you can assist you.</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size2">

80'Triumph TR7, , 73'Land Rover (Ford 351. V8),
'89 Ford Fairlane
85'Alfa 90, 69'Ford F250.
76' Ford F100

PeterTR7V8
TRemendous

Postby PeterTR7V8 » 19 Nov 2009 09:01

Gman, make sure you don't get seduced by the shiny chrome of the pancake filter. They will strangle the motor. Get the dome shaped Ramflo type instead but the best option is a system that feeds cool air from outside of the engine bay. I'd think Ramflo products would be readily available from a performance store.

Have fun with your car. I hope you like the shape. [:D]

Never say die. At least not while you're still breathing.

Workshop Help
TRiffic

Postby Workshop Help » 19 Nov 2009 13:14

My humble suggestion is you retain the air box and fit a K&N replacement filter in there. This will enable you to also retain the functioning warm air hose to the carburetors. We have installed a cold air hose from the air cleaner intake to the hole normally plugged on the side of the inner fender to create a cold intake air system.

Please use the SEARCH function to find and read our article and subsequent entertaining discussions on air filtration for the TR7.

Mildred Hargis

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 19 Nov 2009 18:08

I second Mildreds suggestion. Pancakes look racey but original setup is better for multi temperature driveability. Although Victoria British list the K&N filter at around $80 for the original setup my local Auto parts store quoted $55 Cdn at my discounted price.

TR7 Spider - 1978 Spifire - 1976 Spitfire - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 1991 Integra