Anonymous

MOT

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
soksy
Wedgling

MOT

Postby soksy » 27 Feb 2008 09:32

just had the mot done again every thing OK bit of a blow on the back box exhaust put a bandage on i have a new back box to put on at the weekend i will sleep better tonight.[:D]

soksy

colonel bogey
Rust Hunter

Postby colonel bogey » 27 Feb 2008 17:46

Hi Soksy,

Excellent news on passing the M.O.T.
Time to get out on the road.[8D]

Greg

Greg

'76 TR7 FHC Auto Java Green
"Colonel Bogey"

john 215
TRemendous

Postby john 215 » 27 Feb 2008 18:42

Hi,
Well done mate, always a releif [:D]
Cheers John.

LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME!
1979 3.5 FHC(STATUS PENDING!!)
1982 2.0 DHC NOW A 4.6 WILL BE ON THE ROAD VERY SOON!
Read My Blog http://www.waringstowntr7s.co.uk/blogs/ ... hp/John215

soksy
Wedgling

Postby soksy » 28 Feb 2008 09:04

thanks Greg went to work in it last night[:D],john i had the test done this week as my garage man says he is getting a new shaker system for the front end it shakes the car so you don't have to check the free play on steering joints by hand the computer tells you if its excessive or not not you mot tester is this good or bad for us?

soksy

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 28 Feb 2008 11:10

<b><font color="blue">Good one on the MOT, sure is time to get her out there on the road and blow all the cobwebs out.
I am going to take mine soon and I really think it is going to cost me this time, welding on the turrets and all that, but will have to wait and see.</font id="blue"></b>

paul w
Wedgista

Postby paul w » 28 Feb 2008 18:38

Yes,it's gonna be an expensive weekend for my v8 too!
MOT on Saturday.No obvious problems,fingers crossed!
Road fund licence and insurance both to be renewed tommorrow.
Just gotta win this Sat's lottery to pay for it all!

See ya. Paul

john 215
TRemendous

Postby john 215 » 28 Feb 2008 20:39

Hi Soksy,
The machine you talk off is to help the introduction of single person testing. At the moment we at certain parts of the test require an assistant, normaly an apprentice (gives them a break from making the tea [;)] ) to shake the steering wheel and apply leaver bars under wheels ect.I know a test is exspensive but this is supposed to represent 1 hours labour,poss the case for 'Fred In The Shed' but main dealers charge double that an hour[:0] so to if it cuts down testing time and the number of people required it will good news for the main dealer.Have not heard of any plans to make it a requirement yet to have this fitted at a test centre. I think HGV are already tested on this system just down to the sizes involved unless there apprentices are HUGE[}:)]
Should'nt be bad news for 'us TR7' owners as the final decision is still the testers and our lower jionts tend to show wear with the weight off the jiont where as other cars req the vech weight on them so show up in a 'shake' test. To be honest anything that fails an MOT on wear should be completely knackerd other a pass and advice should be issued (VT 32).
Paul should have let me know about your MOT would have booked yours in for a test and done it myself.Should pass ok its a bl88dy good car.
Cheers John.

LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME!
1979 3.5 FHC(STATUS PENDING!!)
1982 2.0 DHC NOW A 4.6 WILL BE ON THE ROAD VERY SOON!
Read My Blog http://www.waringstowntr7s.co.uk/blogs/ ... hp/John215

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 28 Feb 2008 22:12

My MOT tester has had this 'one man operation' for about 18 months, the Saab has just been through it for the second time and the TR7 gets it again in a couple of months. The shaker plate looks very viscious as it moves under the front o/s wheel only from side to side, and pulls the car around from that point, applying forces to all the suspension as the other wheels grip on the fixed hoist platform. However, I think that the forces on the road are probably worse so I would rather know if something is getting worn.

Alan
Saab 9000 Stg 1
'81 TR7 DHC