Anonymous

Green Tartan Material

Too many people duplicate work that others already have done ... if you're having something remade then tell us about it! Success and Disasters, they are all useful to know about!
jtmco
Scuttle Shaker

Postby jtmco » 02 Sep 2014 23:41

Don,

1 meter of full width (56 inches or 142 cm) will cover the center of two TR7/8 seats but there is not a lot of seam allowance. Please look at my description (link below).

Theo is correct, the material from House of Tartan is not a perfect match (even assuming they are still using my thread counts for the warp and weft which are different). You make the material based on thread counts and it is not an exact science. The mismatch is described in tremendous detail in my google docs article. This is why I chose to wash my fabric. That did take some starch out so it is good to put a backing material on it, but it reduced the dimensions slightly.

My paper has pictures of my seat covers, but I have now updated the google website with a photo of my interior. Note that I have not yet replaced my door cards, but you can see my seats in the car with the red carpet:

https://sites.google.com/site/triumphtartan/

And you can read about the differences in the original and woven materials (and the effect of washing) by reading my document (click on the link at the bottom).

BTW, I have no relations to House of Tartan other than being a customer and I am not in the business of selling fabric - I just did a project and made it available to others. Just trying to be as clear and helpful as possible.

Jim

DNK
TRemendous

Postby DNK » 03 Sep 2014 00:44

Jim- Actually I am in the business of selling fabric
well sort of.
I supply fabric for wallcoverings and tackable surfaces in my business

Don
Stick a Wedge In It
80 TR7 V8 Kick in the pants

silverseven
TRemendous

Postby silverseven » 03 Sep 2014 00:57

here's a pic on Jims material I took a few years back on Mark Bendders seat.

Ron.
ImageImageImage

jtmco
Scuttle Shaker

Postby jtmco » 03 Sep 2014 00:59

Don,

How ironic!

Thanks for enlightening me to the listing on the House of Tartan webpage. I occasionally get requests for the fabric and it is nice to have a place to send people directly.

Good luck finding what you need.

Jim

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 03 Sep 2014 14:02

One thing to remember when talking seat fabric material is to make sure it is very UV resistant. There was a TR7 here that came from Calgary that had the seats custom done. It was a very nice looking charcoal weave material and in two years it was already disintegrating from UV from the sun shining directly on it (and that was the limited sun we get in the Pacific NW). It would have worked better in a coupe were the glass filters out much of it. Seat material should last longer than three years.

- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 1991 Integra - Yellow TCT

DNK
TRemendous

Postby DNK » 03 Sep 2014 16:49

Is there someone in the northern part of the UK by Perth or Edinburgh that could drop off a good sample of the green Tartan?

Don
Stick a Wedge In It

frankman
Swagester

Postby frankman » 28 Jan 2015 09:39

Hi Don

as it looks in the process with the Green Checked Fabric?

Is this still an issue with you or have you found an other solution? I'm still looking for - Thanks for your answer

Hello from Switzerland

Frank

DNK
TRemendous

Postby DNK » 29 Jan 2015 12:41

My bad Frank
I still have my panel here in my office to ship to them. I just need to build a box to ship it in
Thanks for patience

Don
Stick a Wedge In It

DNK
TRemendous

Re: Green Tartan

Postby DNK » 15 Jul 2015 14:21

UPDATE
Just a note to keep people in the loop.
Received a note today
"Don never received a reply on this, are you still looking to get thae fabric made and if not what do you want me to do with the sample you sent. Regards Alan"

Guess I missed this one
"Don,

Got the email and replied on the 1st to say

"As it would be specially woven we can make it whatever size you need it to be so if you just give us the dimensions you want then we can go for that.

Once confirmed will get a CAD made up and send it to you along with a sample of the colours we will use and we can take it from there."

So if you tell me the size you want will get the CAD made up

Regards

Alan
"

So I answered with I never saw it and asked him if he saw the note about the link to all the measurements.

I had been wondering what was happening with it
Don
Stick a Wedge In It

DNK
TRemendous

Postby DNK » 15 Jul 2015 15:11

These guys are on the ball

A response already
Yes got all the pics and PDf's.

If you just want us to match to the existing fabric then we just use the sample you sent us to match to.

The fabric is going to be about 54 inch wide so if the pic of the seat shows a 12 inch across by 22 inch high panel you should get 4 identical panels across the width.

The sample you sent us measures more than 12 inch for the same repeat as shown in the pic, so we will need to reduce it slightly

Regards

Alan

I am just getting the final measurements and hopefully this is a go.
I have sen tout a request to Bill Munts who sent me a great pic of his seat for one last measurement

In case I can't get in touch with Bill
Does anyone have a decent seat that they can confirm this measurement.
Attachments
Red seat pattern demensions.jpg
Red seat pattern demensions.jpg (69.12 KiB) Viewed 6842 times
Don
Stick a Wedge In It

DNK
TRemendous

Postby DNK » 15 Jul 2015 15:42

Another note back from them
"The original weave we did for Jim McLesky is different from the weave we have done recently and currently hold in stock in the red.

The pattern size was reduced in this second weave so the problem Jim had where he had to wash it to reduce the size should not be true now.

12 inch across the stock red fabric gives 3 full blocks of red with half an inch of black at either end.

Regards

Alan
"
Don
Stick a Wedge In It

DNK
TRemendous

Postby DNK » 15 Jul 2015 16:04

OK, Bill Munts got back and sent me this.
This is the only one that is different
Can anyone confirm this?
I'm pretty sure Bill's is correct as it's in good condition.
This is measuring up the back I think
Attachments
Green Tartan 1.JPG
Green Tartan 1.JPG (158.19 KiB) Viewed 6838 times
Don
Stick a Wedge In It

DNK
TRemendous

Postby DNK » 15 Jul 2015 16:42

Anybody else??
Don
Stick a Wedge In It

jtmco
Scuttle Shaker

Postby jtmco » 15 Jul 2015 23:47

Exciting to see this renewed and it seems like House of Tartan is doing a better job of matching the pattern dimensions.

I think the dimensions of the pattern may have varied over the years but I would check the measurements in both directions to confirm that it is the same. Mine were different but that could be shrinkage.

Good luck and keep the forum posted.

Jim

John_C
Rust Hunter

Postby John_C » 16 Jul 2015 08:30

I know I'm sad but I find this all really exciting. I think I need to get some of the red tartan for possible future use despite already having new spares ready for my car next time the interior requires a restoration. So please keep us all updated on progress and how we got about sending money and to whom.

John.
The Best TR7 & TR8 Documentaries Ever Produced Available Here:
www.triumphdvd.co.uk