Anonymous

What Relay?

Do you have a question? Ask it here! The reference library for all your DIY instruction guides, aka ‘surely there must be an easier way of doing this’.
simps
Scuttle Shaker

What Relay?

Postby simps » 21 May 2018 21:24

Good evening gents...

I have a non-functioning Pektron unit which means no flashing. In the absence of one I have bought some small LED lights - meant as motorcycle DRLs.

The plan is to run an ignition fed feed via a spare dash switch and an inline fuse then fit a relay triggered by the high beams which still flash although they don’t rise.

What relay would be suitable? Any ideas of a good place to fit them, they are circular and around 2 inch diameter

Thanks in advance

Cobber
TRemendous

Re: What Relay?

Postby Cobber » 22 May 2018 02:27

The easiest place to put the relay is in the engine bay, in the front corner somewhere, you will be able to intercept a high beam wire close by and you won't have a long cable run to either the lights or battery.
Just an on/off mini relay will do, but see if you can get one with an integrated fuse.
I'd also take the opportunity to run the high beam through the relay while I was at it.
Doing so will probably make your lights brighter, bulbs last longer and take a current load off your under-rated headlight switch, for these reasons, I'd fit another relay to the low beams as well.
In fact, I'd go for a New Era duel relay (part # NLR-132) these are quality units made in Japan and have integrated fuses. using one of these will simplify the wiring as to do both high and low beams you'll only need 1 earth and 1 power feed.
Easy to wire up;
Battery feed to B
Earth from S
Switch low beam to S1
Switch high beam to S2
Low beam light from L1
High beam light from L2

If you can't find one of those then go for a relay with a high amp rating @ 30 to 40 amps or so should do.
As for where to put them, somewhere under the bumper, that's where I found space for both driving and fog lights.

I'd show some pix of the car, but it's too much buggerising around since Photobucket (Pissbucket would be more like it) decided to become totally avaricious arseholes and stuff up the internet.

Has natural justice been done, and that bunch of rancid turd-burglars at Spewbucket gone broke yet? I hope the bastards all get pizzle rot and their tiny dicks drop off! (Mind you, who'd notice?)
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 22 May 2018 16:12

Come on, Cobber.....tell us how you really feel. :P :D
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 22 May 2018 19:03

:lol: Well, it's like this............
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'98 MG-F.

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 24 May 2018 08:23

Simps, look out for 3 emails with pix

'80 Triumph TR7.
'98 MG-F.

simps
Scuttle Shaker

Postby simps » 24 May 2018 15:15

Good Man, cheers!

Sadly I don’t seem to be able to find that relay, it’s a neat solution

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 25 May 2018 08:55

Don't give up so easily........ I believe that they are sold under other brands and private label/house brands.

Battery Link

Delco

Autospark

and Gebe

There will be more out there.

If worst comes to worst I could get you one and post it.

'80 Triumph TR7.
'98 MG-F.

Howard_B
Rust Hunter

Postby Howard_B » 26 May 2018 06:38

The GEBE version is available from Greece (Not Germany) for €7.40 each + P&P

https://www.autospark.eu/shop/relays-flashers/converters-inverters/9-9025-1-gebe-light-relay-12v/

Cheers

Howard