Anonymous

Stromberg Removal ?

Do you have a question? Ask it here! The reference library for all your DIY instruction guides, aka ‘surely there must be an easier way of doing this’.
Groodie
Wedgling

Stromberg Removal ?

Postby Groodie » 29 Jun 2017 11:28

So, I've read a lot of interesting/ helpful hints about Strombergs here. My situation : Tr7 hasn't been started in 10 yrs. Upon starting ( with fresh gas, after draining old gas ) , fuel pouring in to carbon canister ( sticking needle valve , most likely ? ) . My question : Why not pull the carb/ carbs ? Some folks seem to be against that , and recommend just removing bowl to gain access to Float/ Needle Valve . Why are some folks hesitant to remove the whole carb ?

saabfast
TRiffic

Re: Stromberg Removal ?

Postby saabfast » 29 Jun 2017 13:46

After 10 years they are probably full of dried out fuel residue and varnish. Removing to clean them out properly would seem a good idea.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 29 Jun 2017 15:12

You could do half a job and get it running or remove them and do a proper job of cleaning them inside and out, check spindle wear, check rubber seals in pistons (sometimes you can get fine cracks in the rubber that prevent them from working right). Depends how rushed you are, what your end goal is.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

Groodie
Wedgling

Postby Groodie » 29 Jun 2017 19:31

Thanks for the feedback . Is there anything tricky about pulling these off, or is it as a simple as removing fuel lines, unscrewing bolts , and pulling it off ?

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 29 Jun 2017 21:18

That's about it. They are quite easy and generally, once running, only the diaphragm goes wrong and that takes seconds to change from the top. Setting up the float height is more easily done on the bench although I believe some do it in situ.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 30 Jun 2017 04:12

I have only had one Stromberg carb 7. It had an intermittent flooding problem, particularly when stopped for a short while when at full operating temperature, for a couple of minutes to half an hour. Once started it would cough & splutter for quite some time.

I did all the carb things, & it made no difference at all. Then I tested the fuel pressure, & discovered someone must have been mucking with the mechanical fuel pump. They had either removed it, & lost the spacer between it & the block, or fitted a new pump that required a spacer, without one.

Once the pressure was reduced from over 3 PSI to 2 PSI, all those carb problems disappeared. Isn't it amazing how efficient most carbs are if you feed them the pressure they should be fed, & don't add water or dirt to the mixture, yet the poor things get blamed for most of our problems.

Hasbeen

Groodie
Wedgling

Postby Groodie » 30 Jun 2017 13:55

Any tricks/ special tools to remove those rear bolts on those carbs ?