Anonymous

Indicator problem

Do you have a question? Ask it here! The reference library for all your DIY instruction guides, aka ‘surely there must be an easier way of doing this’.
TR Tony
TRemendous

Indicator problem

Postby TR Tony » 18 May 2016 19:34

The drivers side (right hand - UK car) indicators have suddenly stopped working - front & back, they do not work from the indicator stalk or the hazard switch. Left hand side work fine from both sources. Side lights work both sides, just the RH indicators have suddenly decided not to want to work.

I have checked the bulbs, cleaned the bulb holders (which were not corroded but what the hell), changed the relay, checked/cleaned the loom connectors at the front, tried a spare indicator stalk. Nothing. My meter shows no voltage on the RH indicator live at front or back (at the left hand side I get a flickering voltage which I guess is the action of the relay making & breaking the circuit?). I am running out of ideas apart from it must be a fault in the RH side indicator wiring.

Can anyone tell me where the indicator wiring runs from the relay under the dashboard? Is there a connector somewhere where the wiring splits to go to front & back?

Or any other ideas? Any help very welcome - must get it fixed in time for the Bullet Run!
Tony
ImageImage
1981 TR7 FHC Cavalry Blue
1980 TR7V8 DHC Jaguar Regency Red - sadly sold!
1977 TR8 FHC EFI Factory development car Inca Yellow - even more sadly sold!

littlepippin
Rust Hunter

Re: Indicator problem

Postby littlepippin » 21 May 2016 11:43

Interesting that neither the hazard switch, or stalk switch works. Must be something that is common to both ?

Anything on the wiring diagram that is a point where both switches circuit meet up. I doubt if it is at the bulb/light end of the circuit, must be further back.

Is there a flasher unit for the hazards, and a seperate one for the turn indicators ? Can you put your meter on them.

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 21 May 2016 12:48

There are separate flasher units for the indicators and Hazards. Looking at the wiring diagram, the indicator unit is fed from the hazard switch. From the indicator unit the feed goes to the column switch, then to the front and rear bulbs. The hazards connect directly from the switch into the wiring downstream of the indicator switch. If one side is working and one side not for both hazards and indicators it is difficult to see where the problem is. The connections must be under the dash near the switch, shown as green/white to the RH side and green red to the LH side.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

TR Tony
TRemendous

Postby TR Tony » 22 May 2016 22:51

Thanks guys. Finally sorted it today, loose connection which I found in the bundle of connectors under the cover in the top centre of the dash. Gentle squeeze with the pliers, pushed back together & all is well.

What a relief :D
Tony
ImageImage
1981 TR7 FHC Cavalry Blue
1980 TR7V8 DHC Jaguar Regency Red - sadly sold!
1977 TR8 FHC EFI Factory development car Inca Yellow - even more sadly sold!