Anonymous

Hazard warning lights problem

Do you have a question? Ask it here! The reference library for all your DIY instruction guides, aka ‘surely there must be an easier way of doing this’.
sean102
Wedgling

Hazard warning lights problem

Postby sean102 » 06 May 2016 18:35

Hi

I am looking for some help on a problem I am having with the hazards. Both indicators and hazards work but the illumination when on hazards is noticeably less than when indicators are used. The flasher unit was changed and the hazard switch was dismantled and cleaned some months ago. Would be gratefull for any guidance on what I can check to isolate the problem.
Sean

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Re: Hazard warning lights problem

Postby FI Spyder » 06 May 2016 20:11

I would say not so much an isolated problem but a cumulative one. When hazard light is on all bulbs are on as opposed to half of them with flasher. You need to minimize any resistance where metal meets metal (contact). That means cleaning any corrosion (oxidation) visible or non visible from bulb bases, bulb holders, grounds, where the hazard switch plugs into the plug etc. There are some good deoxidation spray products out now. I use the old fashioned Brasso and brush method. A thin coating of dielectric grease helps them stay deoxidized. Don't forget the fuse and holder where invisible oxidation tends to reside.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

XSeries
Rust Hunter

Postby XSeries » 06 May 2016 20:27

I would also make sure that you have a good electrical earth! On the rear light cluster there is actually a spare (spade?) clip (not used with the BL original wiring loom but ideal for making better contact) and a good ground contact can often make all the difference....
Brian

sean102
Wedgling

Postby sean102 » 07 May 2016 08:57

Many thanks will go over all contacts next to see if I can get an improvement.