Anonymous

odometer

Do you have a question? Ask it here! The reference library for all your DIY instruction guides, aka ‘surely there must be an easier way of doing this’.
stevie_a
TRemendous

odometer

Postby stevie_a » 12 Apr 2016 12:10

Ok people i have challenge for you.

For a protect i am doing i am changing a dashboard to full digital gauges.

Problem i have is the speedo in the set i want does not have an odometer in it, only two trip meters

this is the speedo i want to use

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/Tinted-7 ... Gauge.aspx

So the challenge is to find a stand alone 52mm odometer with a blue backlight.

The closest find i have found is this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262129595528? ... :MEBIDX:IT

Also what would be the best way for this speedo to connect to our gearbox, i was thinking the speedo gear from an SD1 but which one ?
If it's not broke don't fix it.

fastman
Wedge Pilot

Re: odometer

Postby fastman » 12 Apr 2016 13:36

I have a similar oil pressure gauge in place of my clock. It is "blacked out" when off, and green (or any colour you choose) when powered. The unit is near useless in the daytime light, as the gauge is nearly unreadable with the ambient sunlight. I would strongly suggest trying a single gauge prior to purchasing all at once, as I would not buy a similar one to mine. I won my gauge at a British car meet a few years back, and had a sorry clock in the dash. - Just a note of caution, the ones you mention might be far superior.
TR7 FHC

prackers
Rust Hunter

Postby prackers » 12 Apr 2016 14:22

Also what would be the best way for this speedo to connect to our gearbox, i was thinking the speedo gear from an SD1 but which one ?

The easiest, and probably the cheapest way (also infinitely variable so no problem adjusting for axle ratios/wheel circumference etc.) is to forget about the gearbox and mount an aftermarket speed sensor (around £40.00 iirc) onto the rear axle so that it takes its signal from the four propshaft fixing bolts as they pass by it.
1978 TR7 FHC 4.0 Toyota V8
1979 TR7 DHC 5.7 Chevy V8
1980 TR7 FHC 2.0
1981 TR7 DHC (not decided yet)

ImageImageImageImage

stevie_a
TRemendous

Postby stevie_a » 12 Apr 2016 14:53

Thanks
Sunlight making it hard to read!
Firstly what is sunlight :lol:
I live in Glasgow Scotland :roll:

I have bought a fuel gauge arriving soon so I will be filling that soon and that will test this.

As said I like these gauges but the problem is no odometer.
I don't mind using a 52mm odometer gauge in the place of the clock.
I just can't find one, the one above is the only one I can find but I would like a blue illumination.
If it's not broke don't fix it.

sonscar
Wedge Pilot

Postby sonscar » 12 Apr 2016 18:15

Search for SVA compliant guages,they should have an odo.Steve

john 215
TRemendous

Postby john 215 » 13 Apr 2016 07:28

Hi Stevie,

As mentioned on ' THE Classic Car Forum ' can you get that speedo as a GPS sensed speed input ? As far as speedo transducer from a SD1 not sure what sort of signal that speedo is looking for and a SD1 transducer would produce it ( analogue against the more modern digital ) , there is a few years worth of technology between them, but seeing as a 2 litre SD1 ran a the same box and more importantly the same rear end ratio as your car then that set up, or IF yours has the late 3.45:1 in the back I think a 2.3 / 2.6 manual is the one needed. Rimmers list the 3.90 but out of stock of the 3.45 -

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID008966

I suppose the downside of GPS it can be slow to react, patchy in tunnels, forests etc. Or if Uncle Sam takes the network down for military reasons !

As far as MOT odometer not required, I enter in the milage box when I issue a certificate ' Not Displayed ' I guess always best to know what sort of mileage you are doing and good IF you were to ever sell. Is that odometer GPS sensed ? May be mounted elsewhere, glovebox etc ?

Cheers John
ImageImageImage Image

LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME !

OLD SCHOOL MECHANIC - STUPID ENOUGH TO TAKE A CAR APART.. BUT ... SKILLED ENOUGH TO PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AGAIN !

1976 Speke FHC BEAUTY FITTED WITH OVERDRIVE GEARBOX

1979 3.5 FHC CURRENTLY GARDEN ART !

1982 2.0 DHC NOW A 4.6, BUILT NOT BROUGHT !!!!