Anonymous

Water Pump Renewal

Do you have a question? Ask it here! The reference library for all your DIY instruction guides, aka ‘surely there must be an easier way of doing this’.
john 215
TRemendous

Water Pump Renewal

Postby john 215 » 12 Mar 2016 11:07

Hi,

First I realise I am no expert and secondary that this video is for a Stag BUT its basically the same job and may help some of guys in removing, replacing and setting end float for the pump, shame that they dont show how to get the cage out but that been covered before on here, so do a search :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VklGz6-U0Xw

Cheers John
ImageImageImage Image

LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME !

OLD SCHOOL MECHANIC - STUPID ENOUGH TO TAKE A CAR APART.. BUT ... SKILLED ENOUGH TO PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AGAIN !

1976 Speke FHC BEAUTY FITTED WITH OVERDRIVE GEARBOX

1979 3.5 FHC CURRENTLY GARDEN ART !

1982 2.0 DHC NOW A 4.6, BUILT NOT BROUGHT !!!!

johnnyj
Rust Hunter

Re: Water Pump Renewal

Postby johnnyj » 07 Jun 2016 20:17

Many years ago, and very much pre the existing restoration, I was in the Med and the pump failed. A few frantic calls home saw a mate bringing the part out on a plane as part of his luggage for a coincidental package holiday, and I grabbed it at the airport before he boarded his transfer coach.

I couldn't translate "slide hammer" for the local mechanic (and in any case my Northants accent had him repeating "Sloide Hamair" all the time) so we ended up improvising. A rope was tied to the top nut, and the other end to a tree branch. As the car was parked on a hill, we just let off the hand brake and out came the pump. Happy days.
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977
http://t-r-7.blogspot.co.uk

Clara
Wedgling

Postby Clara » 06 Jul 2016 18:16

You can make a little tool to simplify the removal of the water pump. If you notice water levels dropping and water trickling down from the weep hole in the side of the block, then you need to order a new pump. Order an extra REVERSE THREAD BOLT that fits the center of the pump at the same time. Go to the hardware suppliers and buy a big heavy washer with a large center hole. Take it home and grind off one side of the washer in a straight line. When you get the bolt, have a shop weld the washer perpendicular to top of the bolt head. Once you get the cover off the water pump, remove the center bolt and replace it with you new "tool". Use a slide hammer with a hook to go into the whole in the washer and pop the slide hammer about three time. The pump will pop right out. If the cup does not come out with the pump, change out the single hook on the hammer and replace it with a small triple hook. Catch the hook on the inside of the cup and pop it out.
Last edited by Clara on 26 Sep 2016 01:07, edited 2 times in total.
Clara

sonscar
Wedge Pilot

Postby sonscar » 06 Jul 2016 20:27

Whereas a slide hammer does the job I found it more elegant to make a puller with some threaded bar and a suitably stout strap to thread and use as a bridge to pull the pump out.The same puller is used with a suitably sized bar with a slotted hole to pull out the cage when it inevitably parts company.Steve.