Anonymous

Headlights !!!!!!

Do you have a question? Ask it here! The reference library for all your DIY instruction guides, aka ‘surely there must be an easier way of doing this’.
Brianc
Rust Hunter

Headlights !!!!!!

Postby Brianc » 18 Nov 2015 16:24

Im sure this will have been asked before, and i seem to remember having a similar problem when i had my first tr7 ages ago.

When i operate the headlamp switch or headlamp flasher, when the lamps go down, the offside is perfect, but the nearside goes down ok, but then goes back up about half way, then goes down. Is it likely to be a relay or the motor 'limit switch', or am i barking up the wrong tree??

Brian

stevie_a
TRemendous

Re: Headlights !!!!!!

Postby stevie_a » 18 Nov 2015 18:53

Always start with the earths then if not successful open the headlight switch and clean.

If it's not broke don't fix it.

Brianc
Rust Hunter

Postby Brianc » 18 Nov 2015 19:55

Hia steve

Thanks for getting back to me - when you say headlamp switch do you mean the switch in the car or the switch in the motor itself?

The problem happens with both the lights switch and the headlamp flasher

Brian

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 18 Nov 2015 20:23

First is the earths under the bonnet behind the headlights followed by the connectors adjacent to them. Pull them apart and give the contacts a good clean. Then the switch in the car. It can be taken apart but make sure you can put the bits back together, take pics unless you have a photographic memory. I did neither but still managed to work out how it worked so its not impossible. It is normally full of crud and green stuff over the contacts, a good clean out cures a lot of problems.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

littlepippin
Rust Hunter

Postby littlepippin » 18 Nov 2015 20:46

Oh, and if you suspect a relay, you could try swapping the left and right relays over (they are the same) and see if the fault transfers to the other pod. If the fault stays with the original pod, then that would be where the problem lies (my guess anyway)

sonscar
Wedge Pilot

Postby sonscar » 18 Nov 2015 20:48

From my experience the red 3wire connector powers the motors and the two single wires tell the lamp to go up and down.I cannot remember how it does it but the relay shorts out the motor when it reaches its up or down limit to stop it overrunning as the motor only turns one way for both up and down,Confusing?yes.I had lots of problems with my lights after an extended period of neglect and worked through all the power and earth connections and fitted relays to the high/low beams to unload the light switch.This has been successful until noe as I have probably cursed it.Good luck,have fun,Steve..

stevie_a
TRemendous

Postby stevie_a » 18 Nov 2015 20:55

saabfast wrote:First is the earths under the bonnet behind the headlights followed by the connectors adjacent to them. Pull them apart and give the contacts a good clean. Then the switch in the car. It can be taken apart but make sure you can put the bits back together, take pics unless you have a photographic memory. I did neither but still managed to work out how it worked so its not impossible. It is normally full of crud and green stuff over the contacts, a good clean out cures a lot of problems.

As saabfast has said :lol:

photos courtesy of our Triumph guru Beans Blog

before clean

After clean

If it's not broke don't fix it.

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 19 Nov 2015 07:54

"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 19 Nov 2015 15:37

I had the same experience as Saabfast. Not taking pictures, I had to refer to the wiring diagram to figure out which contact is normally open and which is normally closed and in which position. It can be done but it's a PITA. If you take pictures before , during disassembly, they are invaluable in reassembly regardless how simple something seems. I have an old 1.3 Megapixel camera that refuses to die, slap open cover (no zoom so no time delay of ratcheting out lens), hit the macro button, then flash button if needed (usually) and snap the picture. The pictures are small in file size yet fill any computer/TV screen, ideal for taking lots of pictures and because it's old, doesn't matter if it gets a little dirty.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

littlepippin
Rust Hunter

Postby littlepippin » 07 Dec 2015 11:56

Did you get the problem sorted Brian ? Interested to know the answer....

Brianc
Rust Hunter

Postby Brianc » 07 Dec 2015 19:32

Hello there

Not done anything yet, but i will be trying out all the tips i have been given. - i cant believe it is the lights switch as the problem happens with both the main switch and the headlamp flasher. I'll get to it eventually !!!!!

Brian

littlepippin
Rust Hunter

Postby littlepippin » 08 Dec 2015 20:00

Yes, I would agree, as the flash operation originates from a different switch, and you fault is common to both. I would look at the motor position switches, as they should cut the power at fully up, and also when reaching fully down for the first time (under a sort of triangular cover on the motor assembly) and this is usually at a fixed point, sealed within the motor, that does not alter unless you have taken it apart before
But before taking the lot out, have you by any chance adjusted the turnbuckle in the hinge mechanism itself, or is the bolt that holds the turnbuckle arm on to the side of the motor loose or the fixing sloppy ?
Be sure though to disconnect your battery before playing around with these.
All the best

Brianc
Rust Hunter

Postby Brianc » 09 Dec 2015 21:30

Thanks for that great advice - i'll give it a go once i get a bit of time

Brian

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 10 Dec 2015 01:26

While I've never had a problem with the lights I did notice the LH light on the road would wobble. When I checked, the up stop adjustment was way out (should drive into the rubber up stop). The RH was was just a little out. The adjustment sequence for up and down is in the OEM manual.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

dursleyman
TRiffic

Postby dursleyman » 10 Dec 2015 07:43

I do get a little bit of "flutter" on my headlamps on bumpy roads although nothing seems to be loose. Its not much, but I do notice it when driving. Is there something I am missing or are they all like that?
Russ

1981 TR7 Sprint DHC & 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC
Dursley
UK

http://tr7russ.blogspot.co.uk/

Image Image