Anonymous

Clutch slave cylinder push rod

Do you have a question? Ask it here! The reference library for all your DIY instruction guides, aka ‘surely there must be an easier way of doing this’.
sgstepp
Wedgling

Clutch slave cylinder push rod

Postby sgstepp » 12 Aug 2015 00:55

When I removed the clutch slave cylinder for rebuilding, the push rod stuck to the clutch fork and did not come out with the cylinder. The front of the pushrod is barely resting in the cylinder mounting hole. Any hints on how to line up the pushrod with the cylinder when reinstalling. I did not try to pull out the pushrod. Is it just stuck in the fork or is it fastened to the fork? I don't want to lose the pushrod into the bell housing. This is my first attempt at rebuilding and replacing the cylinder and appreciate your comments. Thanks

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Re: Clutch slave cylinder push rod

Postby FI Spyder » 12 Aug 2015 06:42

The push rod is held to the fork with a plastic clip and you definitely don't want it coming unclipped from the fork (which it can easily do so handle with care). When you attach the cylinder to the bell housing the push rod will automatically centre in the slave piston. Some people use a slightly longer bolt to initially bring the cylinder in then the regular sized bolt to complete it, then take out the longer bolt and put in the second regular one in it's place. This prevents the possibility of stripping the soft aluminum threads when only a few threads initially are gripped to start to pull in the cylinder.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

sgstepp
Wedgling

Postby sgstepp » 13 Aug 2015 03:23

Thank you for the reply, it is very helpful that I know this information so now I will be able to install the slave cylinder with confidence that the pushrod will be connected to the cylinder properly. This is the first time that I have done this procedure so I appreciate your input. Thank you.

sgstepp
Wedgling

Postby sgstepp » 14 Aug 2015 16:34

I had good success when installing the slave cylinder. The pushrod connected properly and it was easy to bleed it out with some help from my grandson to pump the pedal. Thank you for your help . It is appreciated.

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 15 Aug 2015 12:28

Well done sgstepp, you are now on your way to becoming an expert, & we need all of those we can find.

Hasbeen