Anonymous

Unwiring

Do you have a question? Ask it here! The reference library for all your DIY instruction guides, aka ‘surely there must be an easier way of doing this’.
vitessesteve
Scuttle Shaker

Unwiring

Postby vitessesteve » 29 Jul 2015 20:01

I recently picked up a couple of TR7 wiring looms. I would like to remove some of the terminals etc to reuse on my car.

How can I dismantle this type of wiring? None of the pointy bits on the tools I have seem to do the job.
Steve Weblin - AKA vitessesteve - http://vitessesteve.blogspot.co.uk/
1982 TR7 Sprint DHC

supercass
Swagester

Re: Unwiring

Postby supercass » 30 Jul 2015 14:02

In my experience it is evident that the connectors / terminals were not meant to be re used. There is usually a leading edge on the metal part of the connector that is a captive fit on the casing and once you have identified this it is possible to prise them apart. I believe there are tools to take them apart but it is possible to do it with a fine screwdriver. Separating the wiring is another matter as they are usually very tightly clamped and you usually end up destroying it (and sometimes injuring yourself). One solution would be to use the wiring and connector as is and join them using a contemporary connector some distance away. Not as neat though. supercass

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 30 Jul 2015 15:15

There are a couple of options to 35+ year old wiring.
Option 1 (best): Take out old wiring, (remove wraps) set out on board.
Copy wiring length for length with new (using original colour code if possible both for originality but more for ease of following a wiring diagram) using modern sealed connectors.

Option 2: Use modern sealed connectors on existing wiring (this will shorten the length a little if you have it and will not work for all wires).

Option 3: Where accessible solder crimped connectors for extra support, good continuity.

I have used option 3 on the one wiring failure I've had, a 12 volt supply (red/white) wire in the centre console that took out the dash lights (until I found it). I pried open the crimped connector, soldered wire to it, recrimped on insulation.

You can buy wiring looms but are pricey and doing it yourself is a good winter project and help you understand your car better if you are in to that sort of thing.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

dursleyman
TRiffic

Postby dursleyman » 30 Jul 2015 15:33

Steve, there are a couple of similar tools to the one you show with slightly different sized ends, might be that the other one will work for you?

Mine is a Lisle 56500 and looks the same as yours but is plain aluminium colour. Seems to work on most of the car so far.
Russ

1981 TR7 Sprint DHC & 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC
Dursley
UK

http://tr7russ.blogspot.co.uk/

Image Image

TR Tony
TRemendous

Postby TR Tony » 24 Aug 2015 16:23

I too have a couple of the tools like the one in your picture (may other one is coloured red), and so far I have been able to release any of the loom connectors that I have tried.

Some times a bit fiddly & have had to try a couple of different "ends" but I have always succeeded.
Tony
ImageImage
1981 TR7 FHC Cavalry Blue
1980 TR7V8 DHC Jaguar Regency Red - sadly sold!
1977 TR8 FHC EFI Factory development car Inca Yellow - even more sadly sold!

Peter Nuss
Swagester

Postby Peter Nuss » 07 Oct 2015 15:16

I never could find one of those tools to fit my connectors. So, I made my own. I re-used old plastic connectors quite often. Generally replacing all the ones in the engine compartment with connectors I remove from other parts of the harness that are exposed to less light and heat. Never had a problem with reusing connectors with new brass terminals.
TR8