Anonymous

Steering Column Bush - UKC2322

Do you have a question? Ask it here! The reference library for all your DIY instruction guides, aka ‘surely there must be an easier way of doing this’.
JamesD
Wedgling

Postby JamesD » 01 Jan 2009 19:54

Thanks for all the advice on the bush replacement. I took a deep breath and started on this today, about 2 hours later it was all complete. Inserting the new poly bush proved to be no trouble at all...it just slipped in...after a 10 minute boil! Only difficult bits were the withdrawal of the steering column and its later extension with the recess in the correct place to accept the universal joint bolt. Not a one man job though - needed to call on the assistance of Mrs D who was happy to get her hands dirty in a common cause and is therefore awarded a gold star.

James

Limey7
Scuttle Shaker

Steering Column Bush - UKC2322

Postby Limey7 » 23 Jul 2009 01:52

My bushing in the firewall for the steering column was shot so I ordered a new one through Moss. I had some good instructions on how to do the job from a fellow wedge owner. The instructions said heat the bushing in boiling water for 5 minutes or until soft. Well I boiled the hell out of the bushing and it hardly softened up. Probably because it is a poly bushing and not rubber. Anyway, I lost my patience and cut through it on one side.
I was then able to start the bushing in the hole and work the rest of it in until it snapped in place. I test drove it and it seems to work fine and because of the tight fit you can hardly tell there is a slice in it. My question is, has anyone else had this trouble? Do you think it'll hold up? Seems fine so far.
Cheers, Matt

"The Flying Doorstop!"

busheytrader
TRemendous

Steering Column Bush - UKC 2322

Postby busheytrader » 23 Jul 2009 04:00

When I fitted polybushes to my antiroll bar (swaybar), they came precut otherwise there was no way they could have been fitted. The saddle clamps keep them very tightly in place and I'm sure the lube supplied with them helps.

Adam

TR7 V8 DHC Jaguar Solent Blue. 9.35cr Range Rover V8, Holley 390cfm, JWR Dual Port, 214 Cam, Lumention, Tubular Manifolds, Single Pipe Exh, 3.08 Rear, 200lb Spax & PolyBushes, Anti- Dive, Capri Vented Discs & Calipers, Braided Hoses, 4 Speed Rear Cylinders, Uprated Master Cylinder & Servo, AT 5 Spokes and Cruise Lights. No Door Stickers. Mine since July 1986, V8 from 1991

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 23 Jul 2009 16:14

Does this 'bushing' actually DO anything - or is it just a 'firewall' seal ?

Image Image ImageImage

cliff
Rust Hunter

Postby cliff » 23 Jul 2009 17:44

Firewall seal and it keeps the steering shaft from flopping around and rattling. Any slop in the steering anywhere will contribute to the dreaded steering wheel wobble. I made mine up in the shop on the lathe using a material called UHMW. It is solid with just a small amount of yield and does not rattle.
Cliff

Don't use force, get a bigger hammer!!

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 23 Jul 2009 21:43

Probably that was Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene ! How did you get it into the firewall ? It's usually pretty stiff stuff!
On my car - the bush seems quite slack - but the steering rod doesn't seem to move about - I was wondering if it would be an MOT fail - but then I realised it doesn't actually seem to do much - except seal the space around the shaft, and is not supporting it any way.

Image Image ImageImage

Limey7
Scuttle Shaker

Postby Limey7 » 24 Jul 2009 00:32

bmcecosse,
I got it into the firewall by slicing one side of the bushing. That allowed me to get it started in the opening. I then worked it around until it seated. As far as an MOT failure, where I live in the US we have an annual state safety inspection. It's fairly comprehensive but probably not a grueling as an MOT. The bushing was in bad shape the last few years. It had split in two so I only had half a bushing inside the car under the dash. Prior to my inspection I'd glue and duct tape it in place. That temporarily eliminated the play in the steering column and my car would pass. The bushing doesn't support anything but it does keep the column centered in the firewall opening and probably eliminates some vibration. My steering now feels much better and there's hardly any play in the steering wheel. Thanks for the interest in my plight!
Matt

"The Flying Doorstop!"

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 24 Jul 2009 09:17

Ahh - well - half a bush would likely fail here too! I have a little play in the steering -last year I was given an 'advisory' for the lower steering joint - but couldn't see anything wrong with it. I wire brushed it and coated it in oil to make it look 'new'! I also tighten up the rack damper slightly (and greased it) - and this year there was no mention at all. The 'play' amounts to 1/4" at the rim of the wheel - but the column is absolutely solid and doesn't seem to be supported by the firewall bush at all - I think it's just intended as a seal.

Image Image ImageImage

striker308
Scuttle Shaker

Postby striker308 » 24 Jul 2009 19:14

Limey7, I felt your pain.....of the boiling and trying to knead it into place. However, even on a 30 degree day........I was able to put my poly in without cutting. I boiled it numerous times and cursed like crazy........

Hope never to have to do it again!!!

Karl
1976 TR7
1982 VW Scirocco

cliff
Rust Hunter

Postby cliff » 24 Jul 2009 19:30

Yes, UHMW. I turned/left a flange on one end 'engine bay side' and slipped it over the steering shaft after disconnecting the shaft at the upper universal joint and used a spring washer to keep the new bushing pressed in place. Works good, lasts a long time...
happy motoring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:)]
Cliff[8D]

Don't use force, get a bigger hammer!!

Jolyon39
Wedgista

Postby Jolyon39 » 24 Jul 2009 21:50

Hi folks,

I understand your cutting the bushing but personally I found the job quite easy without resorting to cutting.

Here is what I did and the tool I used:

1. Boil the bush and then keep boiling it some more
2. Place it up against the hole in the firewall with part of the lip in (yes it is hot..ouch)
3. I used the bottom of a wood handled hammer to push it in (The heel of the handle).

The heel of the hammer handle has a slightly convex surface so I held the metal head of the hammer and just pushed the bushing in with the heel, well I sort of massaged the bush in. The hammer gave me extra reach so I was not jammed under the pedals of the car and it was an easy job.

My experience tells me that we can do this job without cutting.

Jolyon

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 25 Jul 2009 04:47

I boiled my poly bushing but not long enough i think. It was quite warm but I had to cut a bit out to get it started to "screw" it in. It will last for a very long time. The original rubber bushing was missing completely and when turning the wheel lots as in turning a corner the steering shaft would flop around in the firewall hole. Very difficult as the poly was very hard and difficult to access from the engine bay but you only have to do it once (per car). If you put it in from under dash side you've put it in backwards (it is not symmetrical.

TR7 Spider - 1978 Spifire - 1976 Spitfire - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 1991 Integra

john 215
TRemendous

Postby john 215 » 25 Jul 2009 14:51

Hi
As far as MOT concerned, cannot fail on lower bush BUT can on upper, you make sense of that one [:)]
Boiled mine for an age and then struggled with a red hot bush [:0] and ended up with the 'screw in' method with plenty of the correct lubricant.
Cheers John

LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME!
1979 3.5 FHC(STATUS PENDING!!)
1982 2.0 DHC NOW A 4.6,ON THE ROAD NOW KICKING AR5E !!!!

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 25 Jul 2009 21:00

Doesn't this bush - and the washers on the engine bay side - act to restrain the steering column shaft in the event of a hard frontal ?

Image Image ImageImage

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 26 Jul 2009 02:23

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bmcecosse</i>

Doesn't this bush - and the washers on the engine bay side - act to restrain the steering column shaft in the event of a hard frontal ?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Nope. I believe, if I remember right, the steering is collapsible for that. Too hot and I'm too lazy right now to double check that. Because the steering is angled, hence the universal joint, it will flop around if not held in place by bush.

TR7 Spider - 1978 Spifire - 1976 Spitfire - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 1991 Integra