Anonymous

Steering Column Bush - UKC2322

Do you have a question? Ask it here! The reference library for all your DIY instruction guides, aka ‘surely there must be an easier way of doing this’.
unicorn
Scuttle Shaker

Re: Steering column bush - special tool.

Postby unicorn » 29 May 2015 22:26

When I recently did this I used a long 10mm bolt put through a washer then the bush and through the bukhead and finally through a 32mm socket and put the nut on. Simply tightening the nut will pull the bush neatly and squarely into the bulkhead. The 32mm socket was only there for the bush to be pulled into and can use any socket bigger than the bush. I have used this method on various bushes on the car and always works great for me
If it makes you smile it's the right car :-)

kstrutt1
Wedge Pilot

Postby kstrutt1 » 19 Jul 2015 21:49

The bush at the bulkhead where the steering column goes through has disentigrated, I have bought a polyuerethane one to replace it with and am looking for some advice on how to get the column out, the two bolts which hold it at the top are shear bolts and have resisted all my efforts so far(centre punch to knock it round and cut a slot), they also form the breakaway part of the column and seem to have a plastic spacer so welding a nut on seems out.

It struck me if I undid the clamp 2/3 way down which locks the inner and outer column I could slide one inside the other ( this already came loose a couple of years ago so no qualms about disturbing it) has any one done this or any other bright ideas?

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 19 Jul 2015 23:24

That is the normal way. Release the clamp bolts on the shaft with the UJ to the rack and remove the shaft. Slacken the pinch bolt through the shaft inside the car just above where it goes through the firewall and slide up. Fit the new bush (can be fun, search for methods) and reverse procedure to rebuild.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Re: lower steering column bush

Postby FI Spyder » 20 Jul 2015 00:43

I had no problems cutting a slot in the bolt head with Dremel and cutting disc and removing with large screwdriver. If hitting it on the slot edge with punch or cold chisel and hammer doesn't loosen it try some penetrating oil in the threads.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

kstrutt1
Wedge Pilot

Re: lower steering column bush

Postby kstrutt1 » 20 Jul 2015 18:24

Thanks, hopefully I will get it done one evening, got to get my wife's mx5 through it's mot first though.

Kevin

kstrutt1
Wedge Pilot

Postby kstrutt1 » 23 Jul 2015 21:38

Fitted the bush in my lunch hour today, it took about 30 minutes, after a few minutes trying I concluded there was no way the polly bush was going in so I trimmed about half the depth off the lip, even then it requied a bit of levering to get in. Seems to work fine, you can feel a little more friction but this is already begining to free up with use. Also my feet are a lot cooler, no large hole 3 inches from the exhaust anymore!

Kevin