Anonymous

Indicators....

Do you have a question? Ask it here! The reference library for all your DIY instruction guides, aka ‘surely there must be an easier way of doing this’.
Maxwell
TRiffic

Indicators....

Postby Maxwell » 28 Jun 2015 17:23

Re-posted for a friend.... and no, I haven't gone back through previous posts yet!

Hello mate, just wondering if I could pick your brains a bit! The indicators still aren't working on the TR7\V8, we've replaced the column switch and the flasher unit and still nothing! In my mind that just leaves the hazard switch at fault unless I've missed something obvious?

Another for Billing if we can get it sorted quick!

Maxwell :(
3.5 TR7 DHC \ Current :D 8)
2.0 Mazda MX5 Sport

saabfast
TRiffic

Re: Indicators....

Postby saabfast » 28 Jun 2015 17:48

It is likely to be the hazard switch. The feed to the flasher unit and indicator switch comes from the hazard switch. Like all the centre switches they get rather cruddy inside with old lube and oxidized contacts, need careful disassembly and cleaning. Of course, if its like mine you can't even get the connector plug out of the back of the switch and I manage with squirting contact cleaner inside where I can.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

toneinblack
Rust Hunter

Postby toneinblack » 07 Jul 2015 12:39

I can vouch for crud in the switch, took my hazard switch apart ( im heavy handed but still got it apart) take photos on camera phone if not sure but inside is a couple of metal strips that turned greenish with greenish mold ( like when a battery leaks) just clean these up with sandpaper and put it all back together and fingers crossed:)
good luck!!

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 07 Jul 2015 15:04

When taking apart switches I warm them up first (unless you leave them out in a hot sun) with a hair dryer (heat gun is a bit much). This softens the plastic so when you take them apart they are less likely to break. I use this tip for any plastic that has to be bent, especially important for older more brittle plastic. As for the switch contacts I clean out the green grunge off with contacts with lacquer thinner (toluene), don't clean plastic with this stuff as it's an aggressive solvent, then polish them with Brasso. This doesn't wear any copper off the contacts but leaves them the bright copper of a clean surface. I then put a thin layer of dielectric grease so they don't recorrode and reassemble. Take pictures before disassembling because they can go back various ways, especially important on headlight switch. If you are doing one panel switch, do them all while you are at it.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT