Anonymous

Bouncing Speedometer

Do you have a question? Ask it here! The reference library for all your DIY instruction guides, aka ‘surely there must be an easier way of doing this’.
DJV
Scuttle Shaker

Bouncing Speedometer

Postby DJV » 08 Jun 2015 19:28

I am hoping someone will have the answer to this annoying trait my car has !! :evil:
The speedometer jumps around randomly and by 10-15 mph at most speeds. I have tested the speedo head itself using an electric drill to drive it and it is as steady as a rock, so eliminating the speedo itself. Have fitted two new replacement cables, which seem ok for a few hundred miles but the shakes and jumping comes back .....grrrrrrr. The second cable I fitted was the shorter version as compared to the longer 'spitfire' one so it is the correct length. The routing is from the side of the gearbox drive and over the bell housing through the grommet and straight into the speedo head, so assume this to be correct. :roll:

Divine guidance and words of wisdom please before I resort to a box of matches as the cure !! :idea:

thanks

John
TR 7 V8 DHC

Clara
Wedgling

Re: Bouncing Speedometer

Postby Clara » 08 Jun 2015 22:46

It either has a strange twist in the sheath, the fitting at the trans is loose and moves around or the cable is under stress where it attaches to the speedo/transmission.
Last edited by Clara on 26 Sep 2016 01:32, edited 1 time in total.
Clara

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 09 Jun 2015 01:54

You mentioned shorter/longer cables. Do you have a counter (some have one for Ox sensor or EGR. The gears can apparently dry out. I cleaned and greased mine but didn't change anything. I had a smooth speedo, then for some reason it started to go jerky (after disconnecting it to take out instrument pod). I got three cables of three slightly different lengths. I used the shortest one ultimately although I had to change the angle of the counter to connect it. I lubed it with special cable lube, you don't want it too close to speedo end as it works it's way up and into speedo (not good). It still wavered a little so I left it. I haven't noticed it the last year or so, so I guess it settled down. Now that you mentioned it I'll have to pay special attention to it to see if there still is some there. Thanks a lot. Lol.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 09 Jun 2015 09:18

If its a UK car I don't think it will have a counter, that was generally US cars (FI?). My speedo wavers a lot to 30mph then settles down OK. I tried a new speedo cable but it made no difference. There are no sharp kinks or anything. I suppose it could possibly be wear/backlash in the speedo drive gear. I just accepted it as part of an old car and live with it.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

DJV
Scuttle Shaker

Postby DJV » 09 Jun 2015 19:08

You are correct mine is a UK spec car and there is no gear mech as the US versions have.......perhaps the cable lube idea may help and will also have a look at any potential 'play' at the gear drive end and see if anything can be felt there....good ideas and appreciated :D
TR 7 V8 DHC

DJV
Scuttle Shaker

Postby DJV » 23 Jun 2015 19:45

To close this one, I have fitted a new cable and as if by magic now have a smooth and jump free reading needle so I can only guess the other cable even though only done a few thousand miles has waved the white flag !
Hey Ho !! Much happiness again !
John :D
TR 7 V8 DHC