Anonymous

Ignition Light stays on

Do you have a question? Ask it here! The reference library for all your DIY instruction guides, aka ‘surely there must be an easier way of doing this’.
rugbyref1
Site Admin

Ignition Light stays on

Postby rugbyref1 » 08 Jun 2015 12:35

... from an Aussie who will be joinging the forum shortly ...

an electrical issue question, car turns off but ign light stays on and drains the battery if not disconnected, had it at auto electrician but they couldnt work it out. Any ideas, have you ever had that happen. It used to be fine but then decided it didnt want to turn off at all then changed to turning off ok but ign light still on.
Christopher

A respectable collection.

Cobber
TRemendous

Re: Ignition Light stays on

Postby Cobber » 08 Jun 2015 13:28

Well I dunno about the auto elec that couldn't find the problem, but I suspect their probably a bit younger than the car.
An old school auto elec would check the alternator,it's regulator and diodes first, then check all wiring, grounds and connections on the circuit, before then going on to checking the ignition switch and any other components on the charging circuit.

If this soon to be new Aussie member lives in Melbourne, get 'em to get in touch with me, and I'll see if I can help.
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

Clara
Wedgling

Postby Clara » 09 Jun 2015 05:33

The power for the light comes directly from the alternator. It's the small brown/yellow wire. Get a new alternator or have your old one rebuilt with new diode.
Last edited by Clara on 26 Sep 2016 01:34, edited 1 time in total.
Clara

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 10 Jun 2015 14:44

Michael has emailed me, and I've replied, will keep you posted on any developments
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'98 MG-F.

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 11 Jun 2015 13:42

Michael has been back in touch, alas I wont be able to help him sort it out as he is based in another state (SA)

'80 Triumph TR7.
'98 MG-F.

Clara
Wedgling

Postby Clara » 11 Jun 2015 14:19

Like, I've been in that state for a very long time! If I see him, I'll let him know. :P
Clara