Anonymous

broke jackshaft dowels

Do you have a question? Ask it here! The reference library for all your DIY instruction guides, aka ‘surely there must be an easier way of doing this’.
birminghamtr7
Wedgista

broke jackshaft dowels

Postby birminghamtr7 » 23 May 2015 12:18

Probably question for steve wilcox. Im on a downer :( did a simple fix last week I say simple id noticed a little seapage frim water pump hole thought I sort it out. After the massive job of removing all the injection gear and inlet rebuilt carried out and set no problem. Refit all gear again. Went to start no spark I decided bad coil lead after a spark of coil to short lead. Got leads still no spark. On further investigation rotor arm not turning. Rocker cover off I can see jackshaft cog turning dowels or broken shaft im thinking. So now I have removed all air con gear to get to timing cover to remove and find dowels broke ! So off with all inlet again relieved timing chain and water pump and shaft turn freely. Im bemused and depressed cant do anything till next week till I can get to machine shop to remove dowels unless you know easy way. The only other thing removed was oil pump due to a small leak.
if you factor in the earth's rotation, we are all speeding

john 215
TRemendous

Re: broke jackshaft dowels

Postby john 215 » 24 May 2015 08:20

Hi Simon,

Mate that is bad luck, I am sure Steve will be along at some point to give a better answer but personally would remove the shaft put in my pillar drill and drill it out once I was 100% it is centred ok and vertical. Or a good second hand shaft if a machine shop want stuppiiiid money.

My main concern is why it happened in the first place, is the water pump free and not pitching up due to a bad bearing, was it fully located and not sitting up a little due to liquid in the block bush, is the block bush ok, was the pump end float ok etc. Would go for a new chain and associated parts whilst your messing around at the front also.

Good luck mate,

Cheers John
ImageImageImage Image

LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME !

OLD SCHOOL MECHANIC - STUPID ENOUGH TO TAKE A CAR APART.. BUT ... SKILLED ENOUGH TO PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AGAIN !

1976 Speke FHC BEAUTY FITTED WITH OVERDRIVE GEARBOX

1979 3.5 FHC CURRENTLY GARDEN ART !

1982 2.0 DHC NOW A 4.6, BUILT NOT BROUGHT !!!!