Anonymous

Bumper sag

Do you have a question? Ask it here! The reference library for all your DIY instruction guides, aka ‘surely there must be an easier way of doing this’.
nick
TRiffic

Bumper sag

Postby nick » 20 May 2015 02:58

I can't claim this as my own but the idea is brilliant. Here is a cheap (free) and simple fix for sagging bumpers on cars with rubber mounts. And as a bonus, the bumper won't stick out so far.

Remove the bumper. Remove the rubber mount assemblies from the bumper. Now re-attach the mount assemblies to the car without the bumper. This will be your template. Stick a pencil through the holes in the mounts where they were attached to the bumper and mark the frame of the car. There will be two holes per rubber mount. Remove the rubber mounts from the car frame. Now drill half inch holes at all four marks.

From the car, remove the center pin that that goes into the backside of the bumper. Using a hack saw, cut off one inch of the front side of the pin. File the edge smooth. Fit the pin into the bumper to make sure it goes into the bumper hole all the way. On my car I had to file some material off the side of the pin. There was as small ridge that would not allow the pin to go in any further than it had previously. Reinstall the pin loosely to allow play.

Now simply reinstall the bumper using the four studs that were previously used for mounting the rubber assemblies. Tighten the pin and all four mounting bolts.

You now have a bumper one inch closer to the car and no bumper sag. The fit is the same as in the early cars that had no rubber mounts with no bumper sag. Here is how the finished product looks.

As a note: some may ask if removing the rubber mounts has any effect on shuttle shake or other vibration. Whilst I have not drive the care in every possible condition, so far I have noticed no difference. The weights on my car were removed years ago.

ImageImage
nick
'79 TR7 DHC
'76 TR7 FHC

darrellw
Swagester

Re: Bumper sag

Postby darrellw » 20 May 2015 03:50

I did this on my car over the winter, and I'm very happy with the result. The ends of the bumper tuck up more nicely with the recessed area on the wings, too. My spacers were not sagging, either. I just left the center pin out, without the rubber spacers the buyer isn't going to rotate around the pin. You also need to make sure the holes drilled in the end of the frame are high enough, as the back of the bumper isn't flat, and the end of the frame needs to sit in the recessed area. My first attempt was just a bit off, even though I used the spacers as a template.

I also think the wider DHC grill actually finishes the top of the bumper better.
Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

DNK
TRemendous

Postby DNK » 20 May 2015 14:31

The NW connection

Don
Stick a Wedge In It
80 TR7 V8 Kick in the pants

nick
TRiffic

Postby nick » 20 May 2015 20:54

Before I ran across this fix I had used shims between the bumper and the mount to raise the bumper ends. That part worked fine but the shims caused the bumper to stand even further than normal away from the car. This fix moves the bumper about 1inch closer. I like the look much better.
ImageImage
nick
'79 TR7 DHC
'76 TR7 FHC

dursleyman
TRiffic

Postby dursleyman » 20 May 2015 23:44

Take the weights off at the same time. No point in having them without the pivot anyway. Now you have a coupe bumper.
Russ

1981 TR7 Sprint DHC & 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC
Dursley
UK

http://tr7russ.blogspot.co.uk/

Image Image

john rhodes
Wedgling

Postby john rhodes » 21 May 2015 17:18

That's a brilliant idea !!!
I'm not going to do it now but it will deffo be on my to do list over the winter.
Thanks.