Anonymous

Seat Belt Retractor

Do you have a question? Ask it here! The reference library for all your DIY instruction guides, aka ‘surely there must be an easier way of doing this’.
nick
TRiffic

Seat Belt Retractor

Postby nick » 25 Apr 2014 17:29

Seat belt wasn't retracting so I took it apart. The spring had disengaged at one end. But it popped out when I took off the cover. The cover has a sticker that says "do not remove cover." Now I know why.

The fix:
With much effort the spring can be put back in. Here is how. First fully retract the belt on the spool. Next, the spring cover has a hole in the center which is covered by a foil sticker. Peal it off. It can be replaced. With the cover removed and in your right hand and the spring in your left, the spring hooks into the cover with the notch down and the spring coming out from the left side of the keeper. This is important because it appears that it should come out of the right side of the keeper. It look wrong because the spring wants to coil clockwise but it must be forced to coil anti-clockwise. Once coiled in the cover use needle nose pliers through the hole to tighten the spring about 4 or 5 turns and then while holding tension on the spring with the pliers fit the spring into the belt spool slot and at the same time fit the cover back. Lastly refit the foil covers for the hole. Sounds easy but it took me several hours. Most of the time was wasted because I had coiled the spring in the wrong direction and couldn't make any sense of how it could possibly work.

Image[img][IMG]http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt234/nickmi/TR7%201975/Yellow.jpg[/img]
nick
'79 TR7 DHC
'76 TR7 FHC

DNK
TRemendous

Postby DNK » 25 Apr 2014 18:10

Nick Confused, what do you mean by put back.
Can you redo your description, or am I the only one confused

Don
Stick a Wedge In It
80 TR7 V8 Kick in the pants

nick
TRiffic

Postby nick » 28 Apr 2014 23:44

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DNK</i>

Nick Confused, what do you mean by put back.
Can you redo your description, or am I the only one confused

Don
Stick a Wedge In It
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

There you go Don.

Image[img][IMG]http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt234/nickmi/TR7%201975/Yellow.jpg[/img]
nick
'79 TR7 DHC
'76 TR7 FHC

DNK
TRemendous

Postby DNK » 29 Apr 2014 00:17

Got it
Good write up, will need to do that

Don
Stick a Wedge In It