Anonymous

CLIP FITTING HELP!!

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
tr7inc
Wedgista

CLIP FITTING HELP!!

Postby tr7inc » 16 Dec 2007 15:26

Hi all just went to change the perished dipstick flexible rubber tubing today, now i have the top tube metal insert but not the bottome insert, rimmers dont have any, but the daft problem i have is that the clip that holds the tube in place was at the bottowm abd on diagrams i see its at the top, as you may well no these clips are tricky to get onl and i didnt want to put it on only to find i have it the wrong way round. I know this is a daft question to post but i just like to know when im doing something that im doing it right.

Many thanks

Steve

fastman
Wedge Pilot

Postby fastman » 18 Dec 2007 02:52

Steve, are you speaking of the tube that is feeding out of the bottom of your block? If so, I imagine that any length of similar sized tubing will work. As for the clips, do you have the one that looks like a circular piece of thick wire or the top one that looks like a flat piece of strapping that is folded around the tube? Are you wondering which goes where (wire one at the bottom and flat piece attaches to the air box)?I'd like to help but I'm not certain how. Ask again if I missed the mark.

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 18 Dec 2007 03:03

I will attempt to help as I can, bare in mind my FI dip stick and top is different and the PO had a copper tube in place of the rubber one. I haven't seen the lower inserts available so you'll probably have to resort to an auto wreckers or TR7 recyclers like S+S or Robsport if they will part with it apart from the engine (maybe even someone in this forum). The wire clip as shown in the parts diagram is on the top so that's were I put my jubilee clip. The fact that yours was at the bottom may have been there because the PO moved it because the deteriorating rubber hose may not have been gripping the lower insert or it may have been leaking there.

TR7 Spider - 1978 Spifire - 1976 Spitfire - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 1991 Integra

tr7inc
Wedgista

Postby tr7inc » 18 Dec 2007 18:21

Thanks guys, i have put the rubber tubing on the block now, and took the top insert from the old tubing and put it on the the new piece, and attached it to the air filter, as it should be, the clip is the same as described, fastman, its a spring tension one and a devil to get on. on rimmers cataloge it shows the clip at the top thats where i place mine, but i havent got a bottom insert or clip, if the rubber tubing fits on snugly are either neccessary?

Thanks for this help and further

Steve

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 18 Dec 2007 18:56

How did you set the length of the tube - so the dipstick reads correctly ? Is there a known distance for the dipstick to sit from the block face?

ImageImage

tr7jim
Wedgista

Postby tr7jim » 18 Dec 2007 21:39

Steve,

I have spare top / bottom tube and clip will put them to one side fo you with the Spare wheel Boot straps.

I will most likely get around to it around christmas time, when i am off.

Jim

tr7inc
Wedgista

Postby tr7inc » 19 Dec 2007 08:03

Many thanks again jim, i'll pop my details to you via email. BM i got the measurents from a guy ages ago who had several 7's and he said the rubber tubing should be cut at 16.5", tand thats what lenght i had cut at Rimmers, i know robsport & S+S do them, but it worked out cheaper for me at Rimmers as it is only 20 mins drive from where i live.

Steve

rsamis
Scuttle Shaker

Postby rsamis » 19 Dec 2007 18:12

Some have made fun of short dipsticks in the past, but when I read these threads about trying to fix the tube extensions for the longer ones, I'm glad mine's short - just a simple metal tube that won't rot or break off. Size isn't everything! [:D]

Royal
76 FHC, 4-spd, dual Strombergs

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 20 Dec 2007 21:53

Thanks TR7inc. Have you checked if it's correct by draining off all the oil - then refilling with the specified amount to see if it reads correctly ?
rsamis - Did you make your own 'short' stick - or just cut down the standard one ?

ImageImage

rsamis
Scuttle Shaker

Postby rsamis » 21 Dec 2007 04:25

I didn't do anything; it just came that way. I thought I read somewhere that the older cars came with a short stick, and the newer ones had a longer one with the rubber extension tube. Now I'm curious, so I'll measure mine and post it... maybe a picture too.

Royal
76 FHC, 4-spd, dual Strombergs

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 21 Dec 2007 06:34

I also have a short dip stick, on my may 1980 7. It came that way,
from its PO. It was quite difficult to use, with the stock air
filter.

Now I have fitted sports air cleaners on Dolly Sprint carbs, it is
perfect. Ours came with Zenith carbs.

The tube from the block is around 2" long, [Its hard to see down there].
The dip stick looks original, & is 7.5 inches long, from the bottom
to the cap that fits over the tube in the block.

From memory, as its a while since I had a 7 with stock air filters,
the short dip stick looks the same, at the business end, as the
long one.
Did one of the Dollies, with this engine, have a short dip stick?

Hasbeen

tr7inc
Wedgista

Postby tr7inc » 21 Dec 2007 07:59

Hi Bm, havent got to that stage yet i have to admit, because im still short of the lower insert, that goes inside the rubber tubing, i have the top insert from my old piece so i just transfered it into the new piece of rubber tubing, but TRJim, said he might have one for me so im holding out to see before i go further with it

Steve