Anonymous

Top Installation

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Larry
Wedgling

Top Installation

Postby Larry » 04 Dec 2007 17:17

I did a search but couldn't find anything.

I'm getting a mohair top and am looking for a good set of directions. An online tutoral if you please. Does anyone have a link or reference for me?

Thanks

PS I've installed a TR6 top before. I'm kind of assuming that the procedure would be about the same.

Larry

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 04 Dec 2007 18:16

The First bood by Roger Williams, Restoring your TR7, TR8, has a full chapter on hood installation.

Have fun, drive fast & safe, be kewl,

jclay

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 04 Dec 2007 19:44

Larry, if you search on hood or soft top replacement there should be some threads as I have contributed to them in the past.
As jclay says, the book is probably the only written instruction as most tops do not seem to come with any.
It is not too difficult if you take your time and line things up on the centre line (and do it on a warm day). Use a good glue on the header rail, and stretch the hood material another 1/2" forward (or header rail back) from the natural line to ensure it is taught when finally fitted (it will stretch and loosen up over the first year). I found the most difficult part trimming the front around the ends of the header rail and riveting the header rail seal back on as you need long rivets, particuarly at the ends where is has to go through several layers of material.
Good luck.

Alan
Saab 9000 Stg 1
'81 TR7 DHC