Anonymous

Steering column bushings

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
KRenken
Rust Hunter

Steering column bushings

Postby KRenken » 21 Oct 2007 14:35

I'm replacing the upper steering column bushings on my 7. (I did the lower bushing last year) My question: should I be lubricating those bushings, or should I leave them dry when I re-install the steering column? And if I should lubricate, with what?

Kimmit

1980 DHC
GM 3.8 v6 fi

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 21 Oct 2007 21:20

STEERING COLUMN ASSEMBLY
Overhaul 57.40.10
Dismantling
1 Remove the steering-column assembly from the car, see 57.40.01.
2 Remove the steering-wheel centre cover.
3 Slacken and remove the nut and washer securing the steering-wheel hub to the steering-column.
4 Using a suitable extractor, remove the steering-wheel.
5 Slacken the clamping screw and withdraw the steering-column multi-purpose switch assembly from the column.
6 Using a centre-punch, mark the centre of the two shear-head bolts securing the steering lock to the column housing.
7 Using a small chisel, unscrew the shear head bolts;
or if instruction chiseling proves to be unsuccessful, drill into the shear-head bolts where previously marked by the centre-punch and unscrew using an Easiout extractor.
8 Withdraw the column housing off the steering mast.
9 Remove the nut and bolt securing the clamp to the steering mast. Remove the clamp.
10 Using a suitable drift, remove the top and bottom bushes from the steering-column housing.
Reassembling
11 Align the slots in the bushes with the lugs in the column housing. Press in the bushes.
12 Fit the clamp to the steering mast. Fit and tighten the pinch bolt.
13 Fit the steering mast into the housing.
14 Fit the steering lock to the column housing and secure with two new shear-head bolts. Evenly tighten the bolts until the heads shear off.
15 Fit the multi-purpose switch assembly to the column housing and secure by tightening the clamp screw.
16 Align the arrow on the trafficator cancelling collar with the centre of the trafficator stalk.
17 Align the lugs of the steering-wheel with the cut-outs in the cancelling cam. Fit the steering-wheel.
18 Fit and tighten the plain washer and nut securing the steering-wheel hub to the steering-column.
19 Fit the steering-wheel centre cover.
20 Fit the steering-column assembly to the car, see 57.40.01.

Have fun, drive fast & safe, be kewl,

jclay