Anonymous

Carpet - Coupe vs. Conv

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
grndsm
Swagester

Postby grndsm » 12 Oct 2007 05:31

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill</i>

There is an article on this site about laying carpet that I found useful. Be sure to purchase a roll of insulating material and 2 cans of spray adhesive (3m brand)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Bill, do you have a link this atricle? I just got the e-bay kit, so I want to check it out. BTW, the e-bay kit came with a simple diagram with where each piece goes. And there are a LOT of pieces [:D]

Leon
'94 Eagle Talon AWD Turbo 613whp <powered by Mitsu 4G63T
'80 TR7 Spyder GS-T <undergoing Mitsu 4G63T transplant :)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2472999

rsamis
Scuttle Shaker

Postby rsamis » 13 Oct 2007 04:00

Leon, you'll have to post a review of the carpet's fit & finish. I've been thinking about getting one because they're the lowest price I've seen. For me, COST is the #1 imperative[8]. That's why I posted the original question about interchangeability. He usually has convertible kits for sale, and I have a coupe.

Royal
76 FHC, 4-spd, dual Strombergs

fastman
Wedge Pilot

Postby fastman » 13 Oct 2007 04:27

rsamis. If cost is #1, do it yourself. I bought some Rona (big depot store) carpet and spray glue for a $35 total. A couple of car mats for accent and Bob's yer uncle. I used an old set as a guide and even did the trunk with the same stuff. Check out my photos.

Bill
Rust Hunter

Postby Bill » 16 Oct 2007 03:39

Sure, grndsm,
http://www.triumphtr7.com/documents/art ... carpet.asp

Mine didn't even come with paperwork, just a bunch of carpet pieces!

grndsm
Swagester

Postby grndsm » 16 Oct 2007 17:00

Bill, did you have to remove the heater unit? Or does the carpet slides from under it?

Did you cut the pieces to but-up together or did you overlap them?

Lastly is the padding under the carpet truly necessary?

Thanks!

Leon
'94 Eagle Talon AWD Turbo 613whp <powered by Mitsu 4G63T
'80 TR7 Spyder GS-T <undergoing Mitsu 4G63T transplant :)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2472999

rsamis
Scuttle Shaker

Postby rsamis » 16 Oct 2007 19:03

[quote]<i>Originally posted by fastman</i>

rsamis. If cost is #1, do it yourself. I bought some Rona (big depot store) carpet and spray glue for a $35 total. A couple of car mats for accent and Bob's yer uncle. I used an old set as a guide and even did the trunk with the same stuff. Check out my photos.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Fastman, your carpet looks really good. I'd be willing to do it myself, but my car came with nothing but a bunch of loose scraps of carpet... I have no pattern to cut to. Anyone have a pattern they could send me??[8)]

Royal
76 FHC, 4-spd, dual Strombergs

Larry
Wedgling

Postby Larry » 16 Oct 2007 21:00

Bill,

I bought carpet from StockInteriors.com. Very poor quality, very poor sitching. I sold it on E-bay and dyed my old carpet.

Larry

Bill
Rust Hunter

Postby Bill » 17 Oct 2007 03:40

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Bill, did you have to remove the heater unit? Or does the carpet slides from under it?

Did you cut the pieces to but-up together or did you overlap them?

Lastly is the padding under the carpet truly necessary? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I did not need to remove the heater unit, mine slid around it. I tried the carpet both ways, trimming it and butting the ends looks alot better. Padding is necessary, not only will it keep down the noise (probably not an issue in a DHC) but more importantly, keeps the heat from the engine out of the cockpit.