Anonymous

Carpet - Coupe vs. Conv

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
rsamis
Scuttle Shaker

Carpet - Coupe vs. Conv

Postby rsamis » 06 Oct 2007 04:26

What's the difference between the carpet kits for a coupe or a convertible? Can one be substituted for the other with some trimming?

And has anyone bought a kit from the outfit that sells for $139 on eBay? Are they any good? Thanks.
Royal
76 FHC, 4-spd, dual Strombergs

ngtf
Wedge Pilot

Postby ngtf » 06 Oct 2007 11:01

The convertible carpet set includes all the carpet that comes up the B post, across the rear shelf, including the three boards that go around the shelf behind the ragtop. Obviously the Fhc has a plastic rear shelf and needs no carpet. I also don't think the coupe has carpet up the B posts, I am sure I remember fabric trim on there. The floor and sill sections should, however, be the same.

Hope that helps.

Gary

Eeyore rides again !!
EOR14W - Persian Aqua 2L Dhc, Now rebuilt and looking lovely - Sprint engine being prepared!

Bill
Rust Hunter

Postby Bill » 06 Oct 2007 13:51

I bought a convertible carpet kit from a guy on ebay. No directions, so installing it was a little puzzling. There was some cutting and fitting. It looks ok, I mean it is just floor carpet, but if I had the cash, I would probably buy the formed one piece carpet sets.

There is an article on this site about laying carpet that I found useful. Be sure to purchase a roll of insulating material and 2 cans of spray adhesive (3m brand)

Peter Nuss
Swagester

Postby Peter Nuss » 06 Oct 2007 14:21

FHC and DHC carpets are different on the sill areas, due to the lack of a trim board on the B column and the extra re-enforcement on the DHC. Depending how it is cut the floor sections are the same. The rear shelf is not part of any carpet kits I have seen offered in the US. You could probably trim the DHC carpet to fit a FHC, but, why would you want to do that?

TR8

grndsm
Swagester

Postby grndsm » 06 Oct 2007 18:44

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill</i>

I would probably buy the formed one piece carpet sets.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Do you have a source for such carpet?

Leon
'94 Eagle Talon AWD Turbo 613whp <powered by Mitsu 4G63T
'80 TR7 Spyder GS-T <undergoing Mitsu 4G63T transplant :)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2472999

Bill
Rust Hunter

Postby Bill » 07 Oct 2007 13:35

here you go:
<b>http://www.stockinteriors.com/items.asp?MakeId=50&ModelId=510&MainCatId=1&Desc=Triumph_TR7_Carpet</b>

Peter Nuss
Swagester

Postby Peter Nuss » 07 Oct 2007 14:23

That is cut and sewn carpet not molded carpet. Keep trying, no one I know makes molded carpet. Brad at Wedgeparts tried to one time but, couldn't get enough people to cowboy up the money, to start the process. That always seemed odd to me. I would have bought at least a set or two.

TR8

Bill
Rust Hunter

Postby Bill » 08 Oct 2007 13:02

Really? A quote from the website is; <b>"Stock Interiors is proud to offer the highest quality custom molded Triumph TR7 carpet available. Our replacement Triumph TR7 carpet kit is made from OEM Quality materials and are heat and pressure molded using the original Triumph TR7 floor pan, providing the best quality and fit. "</b>

Peter Nuss
Swagester

Postby Peter Nuss » 08 Oct 2007 13:59

Yeah really, I can read too. "6651 Cut and sewn carpet $199.95" Where is the molded carpet you quote? If there was molded carpet availible it would have spread through this group like wildfire. I don't think Brad would have wasted his time working on something that is already availible. He seems like a busy guy.

TR8

grndsm
Swagester

Postby grndsm » 08 Oct 2007 15:16

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peter Nuss</i>

Brad at Wedgeparts tried to one time but, couldn't get enough people to cowboy up the money, to start the process. That always seemed odd to me. I would have bought at least a set or two.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I believe that color selection was one of the stumbling blocks for Brad. It seemed that EVERYONE wanted some odd color… and there wasn’t any type uniformity...

I thought that would be asking for something common (black or dark gray carpet), but almost no-one wanted that color.[V]

Leon

Peter Nuss
Swagester

Postby Peter Nuss » 08 Oct 2007 16:50

Leon that sounds about right, I also knew he was looking for a bare floor pan. Probably there are several reasons why it didn't get completed. But, if 200 to 300 people would have wanted a set and put pressure on him, he sounds like a guy that would have got it done. I'm not sure what he is doing now, with the TR7-8 but, it appears he's backing out of the big commitment he had to them early. That is never good to see someone stop supporting these cars.

TR8

fiveliters
Swagester

Postby fiveliters » 08 Oct 2007 17:54

I have the brown(ish) color carpet in mine,and the exterior is Brooklands Green. If I replaced the carpet,I'd probably do black, since the trim is black,with a little bit of tan,which I could/would change. But apart from maybe matching the exterior color with the interior (note:I've seen a red car with the red plaid seats and red rug... looks like a rolling bordello,lol),I can't picture what odd or off color someone would want to put in these cars.

grndsm
Swagester

Postby grndsm » 08 Oct 2007 18:11

Oh, come on, you must know just how eccentric TR7 interiors can be (just take a look two colors that are offered on E-bay right now…). [:D] There is nothing new there, what is unexpected, is that people tend to stick with the same colors... But then, if you are going for 100% original restoration, I suppose you must use original colors.

Anyway, if anyone wants to make a black/dark gray carpet, I would down the deposit! But I am afraid I am going to have to buy one of these cut kits.

Leon

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 08 Oct 2007 19:39

Although my carpet is in pretty good condition I dread the day I have to replace it. What are the chances of finding a molded light grey shag carpet that the Spider came with? That being said I did find a web site that had a molded light grey carpet, (they had a picture of it) but I didn't bookmark it and now I can't find it. Dang.

A shame Wedgeparts didn't get their numbers for a molded carpet. I was thinking of putting in my name for grey but there are other things that need attention before I go there.

grndsm
Swagester

Postby grndsm » 08 Oct 2007 19:51

Well, I am currently corresponding the e-bay guy. He said that he is making a tan version in the next day, so if I order a black carpet, he can cut it at the same time for the same $139.95. Which isn’t bad, considering that people have paid $150+, when they got into
bidding wars.

BTW, once I am done with my Spider carpet, it will be for sale. It has some faded spots (in the console area). But otherwise, it is in good shape.

Leon