Anonymous

Roll Bar

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Bill
Rust Hunter

Roll Bar

Postby Bill » 30 Sep 2007 11:05

<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial"><b>Found a guy that offered to make a roll bar for my Wedge. Does anyone that has one have the dimensions and possibly pics of the mounting plates?? Thanks in advance for your help.</b>

stevie_a
TRemendous

Postby stevie_a » 30 Sep 2007 11:53

<font color="green"><b>I do not know about anybody else but I think the roll bars are just a pane

1. block your rear word vision
2. can’t unzip the back window very easily
3. putting the hood up and down I very hard

I think the roll bars on some of the MX5’s are smart and would do away with these problems

Nice big twin chrome bars.</b></font id="green">

Image Image Image

<font size="4"><font color="green"><i>If it's not broke don't fix it.</i></font id="green"></font id="size4">

grndsm
Swagester

Postby grndsm » 01 Oct 2007 14:28

Steve, I really like the dual hoop style. I am going to see if I can design something that follows the contour of my high-back seats.

However, you have left out one MAJOR issue:

With ANY roll bar you need to make sure that your head can not come in direct contact with the bar! Padding the bar helps somewhat, but it is meant to protect your helmeted head and not on open head, so you can still suffer a serious injury. Plus, IMO, the padding does not look very attractive.

That leaves the high head support seats as the only safe way of implementing a roll bar (as shown in Steve's photos)! I can see how many people might object to it, as is has major impact on car's appearance (as does the roll bar, might I add [;)] ). But it would be a shame to spent the money on your roll bar and make your MORE dangerous than it was before...

Another alternative might be to make high enough to clear over your head, but would just look hideous [:D]

Every TR7 bar with factory seats that I have seen, still leaves you venerable to a head injury from the slightest of rear end collusions.

Leon
'94 Eagle Talon AWD Turbo 613whp <powered by Mitsu 4G63T
'80 TR7 Spyder GS-T <undergoing Mitsu 4G63T transplant :)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2472999

fiveliters
Swagester

Postby fiveliters » 01 Oct 2007 19:12

(laughs) If my car has gotten that A over T,I don't know that I <i></i>want<i></i> to stick around to see what's left of me![;)] Someone on here has a rather attractive bar,it is more trapezoidal,but seems to complement the rest of the car quite well...will have to look through the pics as I can't remember the owner's name.

Underdog
Wedgista

Postby Underdog » 15 Oct 2007 16:54

Mine is a Kirk Raceing street bar. Fit is very good and I highly recomend it over trying to get one fabbed up. Be warned though, to install requires removal of the fuel tank which also means droping the rear end. It is as high as possible for the top to still function. I can post a pic if you like.

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 15 Oct 2007 21:59

My Aley roll-OVER bar fits nicely, doesn't interfere with the hood, and doesn't block rear vision. It also stiffens the shell quite nicely - and adds the necessary protection in a roll-over accident. The fact the car came with this bar fitted was a major influence on buying it!! Highly recommended.

ImageImage

Bill
Rust Hunter

Postby Bill » 16 Oct 2007 03:27

Thanks Underdog, pics would be great.

Underdog
Wedgista

Postby Underdog » 16 Oct 2007 14:10

Here's one.
This one also shows the reinforcements I did for the lower suspension pickup points.
You can check them out at kirkracing.com or 205-608-1156 They are located in AL. I repainted mine since it had some scuffed spots from shipping. Also on the upper mounts, I tack welded the nuts to the backup plates and tack welded the plates to the car. This way it can be unbolted, if need be, without removal of the fuel tank. The lower backup plates also need to be trimmed a bit to clear the frame rails/ unibody structure. Other than that it fits like a glove. The main hoop curves back nicely behind the seat to maximize seat movement. Hope this helps. Oh, I think I paid about 220 for mine but that was 5 years ago.

Bill
Rust Hunter

Postby Bill » 17 Oct 2007 03:34

Sweet, thanks!

bmcecosse
TRemendous

Postby bmcecosse » 17 Oct 2007 21:19

That looks like it would restrict the seat travel - and be constsntly banging your shoulder! My Aley bar fixes to the strong metal side frame and is well out of the way.

ImageImage

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 17 Oct 2007 21:46

<i>I think the roll bars on some of the MX5’s are smart and would do away with these problems

Nice big twin chrome bars</i>

They do look cool but they won't protect you. Ask any Mazda dealer and you'll be told that they are just cosmetic. Have a look below the hoops.

Adam

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 17 Oct 2007 21:47

<font color="green"><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by busheytrader</i>

<i>I think the roll bars on some of the MX5’s are smart and would do away with these problems

Nice big twin chrome bars</i></font id="green">

They do look cool but they won't protect you. Ask any Mazda dealer and you'll be told that they are just cosmetic. Have a look below the hoops.

Adam
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Underdog
Wedgista

Postby Underdog » 17 Oct 2007 23:40

Should have mentioned that the seat isn't bolted in, just sitting there so I can move the car around. Also the angle of the photo makes it look closer to the headrest. It does restrict the rearward movement of the seat but not much. I'm 6' tall & don't have a problem with it. The alleybar may well be a better option but the shipping costs to the states would be prohibitive for me. To be honest, I wouldn't have put one in at all but I plan on track days with this car & they require a roll bar for convertibles. It's still not SCCA legal without a crossbrace but the track I run will accept it.

72 MGB BRG
80 TR8 Persian Aqua
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.