Anonymous

Triumph TR25 concept

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Cobber
TRemendous

Triumph TR25 concept

Postby Cobber » 08 Nov 2023 09:30

It’s only a concept but I guess someone has thoughts of raising the dead or they wouldn’t have gone to the trouble of building it.
More details here:
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/_triumph/tr25-concept/
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

stevie_a
TRemendous

Re: Triumph TR25 concept

Postby stevie_a » 08 Nov 2023 19:07

I much prefer the Auto Express TR9

If it's not broke don't fix it.

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 08 Nov 2023 21:06

So do I.
I think the TR25 is a bit gimmicky, but of course concepts usually are, I hate the wheels, damned things look like they belong on some pimp’s customised SUV. The headlights are definitely a gimmick, even with all the wondrous new technology, good luck getting a useful beam pattern from them, it’s too slab sided, lacks the signature sculptured shape of the car’s profile it’s supposed to evoke
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'98 MG-F.

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 08 Nov 2023 21:34

I’ve been trying to think of what car from the past it most resembles, and it suddenly came to me……..the original Austin Healey Sprite

'80 Triumph TR7.
'98 MG-F.

stevie_a
TRemendous

Postby stevie_a » 09 Nov 2023 07:24

I thought trying to make it look like a futuristic Triumph TR3, but i do see the sprite resemblance

dursleyman
TRiffic

Postby dursleyman » 10 Nov 2023 14:34

I was quite sceptical but reading the 14 page article in the TRAction magazine I am rather more convinced about it.
The cover picture suggests a kind of TR2/3 look to me? see picture
Based on the BMW i3S rear drive running gear its a real prospect, wonder if BMW will have the nerve to produce it?

Last edited by dursleyman on 11 Nov 2023 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

1981 TR7 Sprint DHC & 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC
Dursley
UK

http://tr7russ.blogspot.co.uk/

Image Image

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 10 Nov 2023 16:29

But where does your dog sit? :P

Some modern car designs (mostly EVs) have slits for the LED headlight lighting so not a problem with todays LED technology. I just put LEDs in my Gen I Volt headlights to replace the halogens (designed for halogen reflectors), just two tiny diodes for each side for better lighting. Many called them out for not doing it initially (the rest of the car is LED) but I guess it was a cost issue (Gen II's had them). The cost was the same as halogens today but they used to be expensive.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 10 Nov 2023 22:53

OEM headlights have nearly always been rubbish, there are a few reasons for this,
As most buyers don’t know any better, it isn’t a high priority for manufacturers to provide anything better, they would rather prioritise cost and styling fashions.
And as most people spend most of their nocturnal driving in urban areas with plentiful street lighting, they don’t really have much need for a well defined low/dipped beam pattern. Which is why they don’t know any better.
It’s at low/dipped beam when you’re on a busy rural road without street lighting, which is the acid test for lighting design.

Add to that the situation in the US was made worse as there was for many years the legislation that required sealed beams, resulting in imports having to have their halogen lights removed and cheap and nasty sealed beam junk being awkwardly shoved in their place.
With the US being such an important market, this also influenced other markets.

If the US Customer was lucky the manufacturer chose either 7” or 5” round units which could easily be replaced with quality halogen inserts to improve things but more often as not they chose those awful small rectangular units which by the inherent limitations of both their size and shape posed limitations on what could be done to improve the situation. The small rectangular pattern didn’t work very well with the incandescent technology of the day as that tech worked best with an evenly round reflector and the lighting element placed in precisely the right place, this as a generalisation meant bigger was better, lens design could go some way to counter this, but yet again there were compromises, and bigger light allowed more room to achieve this.
The beauty of the old 7” and 5” round headlights was that due to the generic form of these they could easily be binned and better quality inserts fitted. Try that on anything built in the last 30+ years!

Now technology has moved on, projector head lights, HID and of course LED, which is the buzz word these days.
And those old requirements don’t necessarily apply, but as in everything there are good and rubbish designs, and as as always the rubbish out numbers the good!

But the average consumer still doesn’t know any better, if you tell them they have LED lighting they’re happy, doesn’t matter that the actual design of the lights they have is rubbish….. “they have LEDs so it must be better!”

So don’t mind my cynicism at those “25” lights in the TR25 are anything more than a styling gimmick, concept cars don’t actually have to work, indeed most don’t, and if they do they don’t do it very well.
If by chance this thing actually goes into production I bet they will be the first casualty of putting it into production and even if they make it that far, they’re probably going to be next to useless. :lol:

'80 Triumph TR7.
'98 MG-F.

stevie_a
TRemendous

Postby stevie_a » 12 Nov 2023 22:33

From the NEC this weekend

Rich K
Wedge Pilot

Postby Rich K » 14 Nov 2023 16:48

That’s easily the ugliest piece of design nonsense that I have seen in a long time.
1980 TR7 drophead now repainted and started refitting plus V8 upgrade
1977 TR7 fixedhead awaiting restoration
1981 TR7 drophead bodywork now done, mechanicals next then final paint
Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Jaguar XKR Supercharged

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 15 Nov 2023 13:50

Agreed Rich, completely.

Hasbeen

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 15 Nov 2023 20:46

Going by the reactions here, I don’t think anyone will have to worry about confronting one out in the wild, I doubt anyone much likes it, so if that is the consensus of the wider public then they would have to have rocks in their heads to pursue this style.
And even if they did, no bastard will buy one! :lol:

'80 Triumph TR7.
'98 MG-F.