Anonymous

Dash Facia Base a.k.a Dashboard

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Howard_B
Rust Hunter

Dash Facia Base a.k.a Dashboard

Postby Howard_B » 10 Dec 2022 22:12

I am planning on swapping dashboard on my car with a spare I have and while the BL Triumph parts catalogue only shows a single version (not even LHD / RHD!) Rimmers list two different types for RHD cars WKC381 & WKC5136 (The latter is probably for 81 cars?).
Before I start, does anyone know what the differences are and are they interchangeable?
Thanks
Howard

Beans
TRemendous

Re: Dash Facia Base a.k.a Dashboard

Postby Beans » 11 Dec 2022 13:30

According to my parts manuals;
• WKC381 = is the number used for the early RH drive dashboard RH
• WKC5163 = light grey dashboard RH up to VIN 402001
The later parts manual also states WKC381, but than as light grey RH drivedashboard up to VIN 402001. Probably a printing mistake!?

The mounting points including the brackets underneath the glovebox are different between early and late models.
But they can be swapped using the correct parts, as the mounting holes in the body remained the same on all cars.
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 13 Dec 2022 19:52

A few decades ago, the guys at S&S took me out in their demonstrator.

IIRC, it had a lurid blue dashboard with red leather seats and door cards.

It left an impressio

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 14 Dec 2022 05:08

I found some single side adhesive foam neoprene rubber striping about 1/8" thick. I put this between every bit of plastic that was going to rub on other plastic or metal. That was 10 years ago, & I still have a silent dash, no matter how rough the road.

This is entirely different to my original effort with no separating insulation that drove me mad, or my second effort with foam rubber strips that squashed flat & ceased stopping rattles/squeaks after about 3 months.

Hasbeen

darrellw
Swagester

Postby darrellw » 14 Dec 2022 13:46

Hasbeen wrote:I found some single side adhesive foam neoprene rubber striping about 1/8" thick. I put this between every bit of plastic that was going to rub on other plastic or metal. That was 10 years ago, & I still have a silent dash, no matter how rough the road.

This is entirely different to my original effort with no separating insulation that drove me mad, or my second effort with foam rubber strips that squashed flat & ceased stopping rattles/squeaks after about 3 months.

Hasbeen

Another thing I did, put some Dynamat or similar material on the back side of the plastic pieces. Don't need to fully cover, just some small bits. Really cuts down on the "plastic" sound resonating in the parts.
Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA