Anonymous

Replacement Seat Belts

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Howard_B
Rust Hunter

Replacement Seat Belts

Postby Howard_B » 20 Oct 2021 12:11

When I recently crashed my TR7, the car did a very good job of protecting me despite the speed (more than 50mph) and serious impact with the end of the ditch. I suffered a few bruises & nothing more, but the flexible stalk that holds the seat belt socket to my seat had snapped right though & broken off! Inspecting the passenger seat the stalk was beginning to fail on that as well so both need to be replaced - for now I have fitted second hand ones, but this is not a long term soloution.

Rimmers are offering a complete replacement & before I buy them I would like to know if anyone has fitted them?

busheytrader
TRemendous

Re: Replacement Seat Belts

Postby busheytrader » 20 Oct 2021 12:55

Hi Howard,

I remember others on the forum some years ago stating their stalks had practically rusted through with no structural integrity.

Our MX5 had a small front end nudge many years ago which set off the air bags and seat belt tensioner. The bill just for replacing that set up was £4,500, enough to write off many modern classics now. :|

I wouldn’t say don’t go ahead with Rimmers but I’ve only ever heard good things about these guys who are relatively local. https://www.quickfitsbs.com/index.php

Might be worth having a word with them.

Howard_B
Rust Hunter

Postby Howard_B » 20 Oct 2021 13:17

Thanks, I have sent them a message

Rich K
Wedge Pilot

Postby Rich K » 21 Oct 2021 19:57

Hi Howard, I believe the replacement seat belts supplied by Rimmers are made by Securon. I have fitted these in the past and the quality seemed fine although they are different in appearance from the originals if originality is your thing. Also there is a choice of stalk length with either a longer 30cm or shorter 15cm available. Incidentally I have just noticed that Rimmers are running a TR7/8 sale at the moment.

Rich.
1980 TR7 drophead now repainted and started refitting plus V8 upgrade
1977 TR7 fixedhead awaiting restoration
1981 TR7 drophead bodywork now done, mechanicals next then final paint
Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Jaguar XKR Supercharged