Anonymous

Triumph TR7 - Lights left on buzzer

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
saabfast
TRiffic

Re: Lights left on buzzer

Postby saabfast » 20 Apr 2020 13:37

Have to admit I have never left the headlights on in the TR7 as they stick up so are quite visible! I don't drive on sidelights so, as it the same switch, they all get turned off together.
That's what I like about my Saabs. With the headlight switch in the headlights on position they go off when you turn the car off and come back on when you start it, cannot be left on. I normally drive with the headlights on and do not use the sidelights position. You also cannot remove the key unless the shift is in Park (or 2nd gear in a manual).
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 21 Apr 2020 21:19

I think when this lockdown is all over I will have to get a few mates around and fit the buzzer. I do like the idea of it and if I can find the cables that should make it easier. Rather than trying to find the purple/white wires behind the dash, I will take a connection from the drivers side and then feed a wire to the buzzer from it.

Howard_B
Rust Hunter

Postby Howard_B » 21 Apr 2020 21:57

saabfast wrote:Have to admit I have never left the headlights on in the TR7 as they stick up so are quite visible! I don't drive on sidelights so, as it the same switch, they all get turned off together.
That's what I like about my Saabs. With the headlight switch in the headlights on position they go off when you turn the car off and come back on when you start it, cannot be left on. I normally drive with the headlights on and do not use the sidelights position. You also cannot remove the key unless the shift is in Park (or 2nd gear in a manual).

As I regularly drive in Europe I fitted day time running lights in parallel with my side lights so its easy for me to forget that they are on - however as they are all LED's now, the risk of a flat battery is much smaller :D

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 21 May 2020 21:58

Howard_B I have the buzzer and found the cables.

You mentioned that the Ignition Feed needs fuse protection, do you know what size fuse to use here?

Howard_B
Rust Hunter

Triumph TR7 - Lights left on buzzer

Postby Howard_B » 22 May 2020 13:24

I would recommend 5A - it only require 1 or 2A fuse for protection, but my experience is that they blow much to easily and 5A provides a good trade off between protection & reliability.

Cheers

Howard

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Re: Triumph TR7 - Lights left on buzzer

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 25 May 2020 20:57

Thanks, will look into it. I have all the bits, just need to get the time to do it now :-)