Anonymous

TR7 Cruise / Marker Lights and Covers TR8

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
busheytrader
TRemendous

Re: Front wing orange lights,

Postby busheytrader » 16 May 2015 16:14

As per above my front cruise lights (Orange) are wired in to the indicators. For town traffic I reckon they're a necessity, especially at night with a dark coloured wedge, otherwise the indicators are all hidden from the side.

At the back the cruise lights (red) are wired into the sidelights.

Adam

TR7 V8 DHC Jaguar Solent Blue. 9.35cr Range Rover V8, Holley 390cfm, JWR Dual Port, Lumention, Tubular Manifolds, S/S Single Pipe Exh, 3.08 Rear Axle, 200lb Spax & PolyBushes all round, Anti- Dive, Strut-Top Roller Bearings, Capri Vented Discs & Calipers, Braided Hoses, 4 Speed Rear Cylinders, Uprated Master Cylinder & Servo, AT 14" 5 Spokes or Maestro Turbo 15" Alloys, Cruise Lights, S/S Heater Pipes, Replacement Fuel Tank. No Door Stickers. Mine since July 1986, V8 from 1990 courtesy of S&S V8 conversion kit (built not bought) and big brake kit.

jeffremj
Wedgista

Postby jeffremj » 17 May 2015 10:01

I believe it is possible to have them working as marker lamps and indicators but I understand that involves fitting an additional device / circuit presumably to prevent the front and rear sidelights from flashing also
I have the front side lamps as markers when the normal side lights are on. If the side lights are off and the indicators flash, the front side markers will flash in sympathy with the indicators. With the side lights on and the indicators flashing, the front side markers flash out of phase with the indicators. All done via wiring, nothing else.

toneinblack
Rust Hunter

Postby toneinblack » 17 May 2015 12:38

cheers for the reply jeffremj, that sounds confusing :) the old wiring on mine must have done something similar , Does your pass the mot like this or do you alter it?

jeffremj
Wedgista

Postby jeffremj » 17 May 2015 16:32

It passes MOTs in that you can have marker lights (like some Volvos have) and side indicators. Technically, it might be considered as faulty earth wiring :roll:

manny
Swagester

Postby manny » 19 May 2015 07:02

i too have been looking at combining side markers to act as indicators, but only when the lights are on.
When the lights are switched on the side (front) markers will be active via the NC relay, when the front indicators are activated , it should cycle the relay - the front and side indicators will flash in an alternate manner- but not a big problem--- this should work??

Reliant Scimitar GTE 6a 1978-STOLEN :shock:
Reliant SS1 1800ti 1987
Reliant SS1 1600 1985
Reliant Scimitar GTC 1981
Mercedes 190E 1985
Bajaj Legend NXT 2002 -somehow SOLD :shock: :shock:

Polly-Red7
Rust Hunter

Cruise Light fitting

Postby Polly-Red7 » 09 Aug 2015 22:01

I've been recently given a set of cruise lights and will be having a go at fitting them this week. It looks fairly straightforward looking at the circuit diagram but I just wanted to check as I've be given no fitting instructions with them. The rear set is obviously the easiest just wiring into the tail lights but could anyone tell me if theres a specific way to wire the two connectors? I presume one side is the power and the other the earth? If this is the case do I use a ring connector to earth it to the body or is there a more convenient connections?

With regard to the front I've read that they can be wired into the side lights or used as indicators and in some cases both, how would I go about the latter?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Chris
Chris
1982 FHC "Polly"
Remember a TR7 is for life, not just Christmas :D :roll:

sonscar
Wedge Pilot

Re: Cruise Light fitting

Postby sonscar » 09 Aug 2015 22:18

Connect the earth wire of the front lamps to the live feed of the front indicator and both cruise lamps and indicators will flash when lights are on or off.Will probably get shot down in flames for this suggestion so try at your own discretion/risk.Steve.mine have been so connected for years.

dursleyman
TRiffic

Postby dursleyman » 09 Aug 2015 22:54

Not sure I understand what Sonscar means ref the front ones. Presumably he means one side of the amber cruise light is earthed and the other is joined into the "live" feed of the front indicator? In which case it will act as a side repeater for the indicators.
If you want it to act as a sidelight as well you must be going to need to electrical trickery?
Russ

1981 TR7 Sprint DHC & 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC
Dursley
UK

http://tr7russ.blogspot.co.uk/

Image Image

sonscar
Wedge Pilot

Postby sonscar » 10 Aug 2015 19:01

Connect one side of the cruise light to the live of the sidelight and instead of earthing the other side to the body or other earth wire connect it to the live feed of the indicator.This way the light illuminates with the lightsAND flashes with the indicators whether the lights are on or not,try it you may be surprised,I was when I found it on mine and it has been so for the five years I have known it.Have fun Steve..

Polly-Red7
Rust Hunter

Postby Polly-Red7 » 10 Aug 2015 19:20

Thanks for your replies. As predicted the rear lights were a doddle. Haven't commenced battle with the front yet as I realised I need a couple of bits to finish the job :D So I fitted my American spec steering wheel instead :roll:
Chris
1982 FHC "Polly"
Remember a TR7 is for life, not just Christmas :D :roll:

supercass
Swagester

Postby supercass » 10 Aug 2015 19:44

Steve, Do they work at full power when you wire them up like that? I probably don't know what I'm talking about (I often don't) but isn't this utilizing an indirect earth? supercass

supercass
Swagester

Postby supercass » 10 Aug 2015 19:54

Whilst cruise light fitting is being debated can anyone tell me if the cruise light covers in the boot are fitted before the cardboard side covers or if the cardboard side covers are fitted first and are held on by the cruise light cover and associated washer / nuts. In the U.K. these were not original fittings so the cardboard interior side panels have no cut outs so it is not immediately obvious. I have fitted my cardboard panels first after making a cut out and they are held in place by the cruise light covers but given that this places some pressure on the fittings and that the cruise light covers seem to have some cut outs for wire to enter and exit which you would anticipate being hidden behind the trim I wonder if I have got this right? supercass

DNK
TRemendous

Postby DNK » 10 Aug 2015 20:17

What's the "American" terminology of cruise lights
Don
Stick a Wedge In It
80 TR7 V8 Kick in the pants

sonscar
Wedge Pilot

Postby sonscar » 10 Aug 2015 20:27

I thought that cruise light was an American term,guess I was wrong.Marker lights maybe.As they have always been connected so I have no reference as to whether they are at full brightness,but they have not caused me to look and think that they do not look right.You are correct that they use the earth path of the other lamps filament(I think) and an amusing trick is that they flash in time with the indicators with the lights off,and opposite to them when the lights are on.Steve..

supercass
Swagester

Postby supercass » 10 Aug 2015 21:28

I think in the USA they are known as side marker lights. supercass