Anonymous

I am restoring my TR7 DHC

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
FI Spyder
TRemendous

Re: I am restoring my TR7 DHC

Postby FI Spyder » 05 Dec 2019 16:39

A word about discoloured window washer boxes. If you take them and soak them in a pail of bleach and water you can restore them to the original translucent look. I did that to the Spider over the first winter on initial "restoration"/bringing up to par for "from out of country safety inspection". While it wasn't bad to start with, I've had remarks about it looking "brand new" even 12 years after the fact. I also did that to my Tumeric yellow car and it's been in the bleach/water for a couple of years now and I noticed it's like new and I can remove it for storage next time I think of it. They weren't as bad as the one in the picture and I don't know how it will fair and it will take several years (like most restorations anyways) and you can also do it yearly during winter layup as they are easy to remove. You could also do it to the brake reservoir (during restoration). It doesn't appear to affect the plasticity of the container and if it's just sitting there anyway.....
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

toranarodTR7
Wedgling

Postby toranarodTR7 » 05 Dec 2019 17:50

Hello Rich K
Restoration time. It can be great fun shaping your car into that vision you have in your head.
I am so looking forward to no rust and a new color.
Its still just getting started. At the moment I am welding up my new car frame come rotisserie. Gave my last one away thought I would never do this again.
Not only is my car needing restoration All my restoration equipment is needing an upgrade.
Been out shopping for new welding gear and compressors, plasma cuter, sandblasting. The welding technology has improved since last time and the prices for the hi end stuff is now available to the DIY guys. Other stuff like 2 pack paint has gone thru the roof. its that roundabout and side thing LOL
Any photos of your car ?

Rich K
Wedge Pilot

Postby Rich K » 05 Dec 2019 19:20

Hi Rod, that sounds like my kind of shopping. I need to do a bit if that myself. Looking at getting a compressor and a shot blasting rig at the moment. Thankfully all the welding is now complete on my car and the rolling shell is in fresh paint waiting for the all the bits to be refitted. Haven’t made much progress recently but I am in the process of fitting led batten lamps to the garage ceiling and once finished I should be able to see what I am doing in there rather than stumbling round in the dark! Here is a pic of the car.
Cheers,
Rich.
Attachments
4B5D61A3-AC9F-4EC0-A88C-C01C39E6780E.jpeg
4B5D61A3-AC9F-4EC0-A88C-C01C39E6780E.jpeg (100.56 KiB) Viewed 6242 times
1980 TR7 drophead now repainted and started refitting plus V8 upgrade
1977 TR7 fixedhead awaiting restoration
1981 TR7 drophead bodywork now done, mechanicals next then final paint
Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Jaguar XKR Supercharged

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 06 Dec 2019 00:28

I had to replace my MIG welder, due to an idiot mate borrowing it, leaving it out side in the weather for @ a month, then wondering why it wouldn't go! :roll:
So I've just got myself one of these: Image
https://sydneytools.com.au/product/italco-150m-150-amp-transformer-glas-gasless-welder
Yet to give it a go.
That Sydney Tools mob is making a big push for the Melbourne market, opening new stores everywhere, their prices aren't bad and you can use them to squeeze a good deal outta others like Total Tools outlets that have had a Sydney Tools open nearby.
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

dmtrmp6
Scuttle Shaker

Postby dmtrmp6 » 06 Dec 2019 06:57

G'dy Rod,
Welcome back, are you still using the toyota/lexus 1uz v8? Or heading in a different direction this time round? Rgds, Daryl M

toranarodTR7
Wedgling

Postby toranarodTR7 » 06 Dec 2019 19:27

Hello dmtrmp6
I am driving the 1UZ-FE 4 litre V8 and it still goes Awesome after 10 years ,
Its time for a second tidy up and proper body restoration.

Also Thanks Cobberfor the welder tip with the link that’s just what I am looking for and the price is in my range as I am only really upgrading for the car job.
I have a tiny bit of rust under the front widow cover.

toranarodTR7
Wedgling

Postby toranarodTR7 » 06 Dec 2019 19:42

Yesterday I got a phone call from a guy who wanted to swap me a TR8 and a 1996 old tried Toyota supra and some cash for this car my white TR v8 in this blog. I am not taking the cash into the equation at this point as there is no mention of the amount. He is prepared to take it before I spend a considerable amount of time and money cleaning her up. I am really thinking about it, anybody have any thoughts on a deal like that.
The TR8 mentioned is in the photo below

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 06 Dec 2019 23:56

They are getting sought after ...
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 07 Dec 2019 04:17

I can see a couple of Leyland P76 motors in that pic, for those of you who don't know what a P76 is it was a cor made here in Oz that used a 4.4 litre version of the RV8, they ran larger main bearings and the block has a higher deck height for the increased stroke.
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'98 MG-F.

toranarodTR7
Wedgling

Postby toranarodTR7 » 07 Dec 2019 08:55

IN the pic, Just in front The red TR7 with the tool box on it. and the chrome trim that is always black. That was once my car. Its was my first v8 conversion,
There is a 4.4 Leyland Terrier motor in there, This thing was Leyland light truck motor for Aus.

Here is a photo of the red car when she was my pride and joy.

Thats me in the 90,s rubbing it down.

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 07 Dec 2019 14:44

There wasn't a lot of difference between the P76 engine and that of the Terrier, different carbie, cam profile, dissy advance curve and the colour of the rocker covers.

'80 Triumph TR7.
'98 MG-F.

Axis of evil
Wedgling

Postby Axis of evil » 08 Dec 2019 05:07

Hi Rod, love your car.
After nearly 20 years absence from English cars I decided to punish myself by putting a 3UZ into a 7 coupe.
I have a 928 that I put this engine into and cannot fault it, 20,000K's and all I have done to it is put fuel in the tank,(and not that much considering it's a V8.)
Question, Any problems with steering shaft clearance with the 1UZ?
I will eventually put a Subaru power rack in,but I am interested in how close the Tr shaft is to exhaust
(and is it heavy at low speed?)
Do you have cats in 1UZ factory position?
I have a Soarer sump setup somewhere in my garage that I will be using, which is as far back as a toyota/Lexus pan goes, looks like you have used one on your convertible .
Thanks
Russ

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 08 Dec 2019 16:03

toranarodTR7 wrote:IN the pic ..

Hi Rod, pictures don't show in your post :roll:
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 09 Dec 2019 00:45

The pix were showing.........and now they're not?????? Ahh the vaguerires of the internet

'80 Triumph TR7.
'98 MG-F.

toranarodTR7
Wedgling

Postby toranarodTR7 » 09 Dec 2019 11:44

Just a quick note on the clearance . at its closet point it had 12 mm clearance. no problem at all, By law when we do and engine swap
they want a minimum of 10 mm clearance. I have a pic see if i can find it.
I have never felt the car needed power steering. The weight balance was good. I have had the car weighed for certificate of compliance for registration.do you want to know the weight?

I fitted Cats. It was compliance for Law and EPA regulations. Also the engine ran better. Maybe tiny bit of power loss.