Anonymous

I am restoring my TR7 DHC

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Axis of evil
Wedgling

Re: I am restoring my TR7 DHC

Postby Axis of evil » 09 Dec 2019 20:56

Hi Rod , I will see how it goes with the unpowered rack, can change if I find it heavy, I will be fitting caster camber tops, so the bearing should help. I used a Rover SE rack with shortened track arms in an 8 coupe I built 20 years ago , it was FAST!, Move the steering wheel an inch and you would be up someone's driveway on the other side of the road. Completed weight with a 1UZ would be interesting , I have estimated total as under 1100kgs. I could have an unrelated problem with the 4.3, as the rules for transplants are being standardized Australia wide re capacity of engine. That crazy equation that maximum CC can be no bigger than the RTA registered WEIGHT multiplied by 4, TR7's were on the books here as weighing 1020kgs, so technically I can only put in an engine up to 4080 CC. MAD!! Will be a while before I get to that point, currently stripping paint back to metal, I can't live with the current bumble bee colour. Russ

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 10 Dec 2019 10:21

It would depend if your in a state that dosen't require an annual inspection such as Victoria
So if you are in such a state the you could register it with the 4.0 version and stuff the larger capacity version in later.
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

toranarodTR7
Wedgling

Postby toranarodTR7 » 10 Dec 2019 12:01

With the driver in the car. see photo
Attachments
TR7 weight.JPG
TR7 weight.JPG (29.31 KiB) Viewed 6249 times

Axis of evil
Wedgling

Postby Axis of evil » 10 Dec 2019 21:05

Dare I ask what you weigh? ;-)

I found a cheapo way (free) to get your car weighed accurately is at the tip . weighbridges are spot on accurate.
Design regulations used to be state by state, I have had four cars engineered in NSW,used to be strict, but fair. Queensland,where I live now, at the same time was comedy central, you could get a Morris minor registered with a 7 lire Chev V8 in it. a few years back the rules were modified so a car certified in any state could be registed in another without re-doing the certification. AS LONG AS THE CAR IS STILL REGISTERED- don't ever let the registration lapse.
This is the link to engine mods these days, The engineer I was using in NSW, told me they can no longer use discretion to go outside the rules.

https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehic ... 011_v3.pdf

and that's just for engines!

The complete list for every other nut and bolt you might want to change is here.
https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehic ... _ncop.aspx

I think the basic idea is to make it near impossible to even think about modifying you car
Russ

Rodney Wells
Wedge Pilot

Postby Rodney Wells » 11 Dec 2019 15:58

Hi guys I just got my old Account back thanks to the Administrator. Thank you.

I must Say. The engineering process was hell. I thought I would never get it over the line.
Every time I completed a task and presented them with all the information and changes made They Just found something else.

I ended up with a list of modification codes on certificate.
Attachments
TR7 toyota engine swap.JPG
TR7 toyota engine swap.JPG (106.58 KiB) Viewed 6238 times

Stag76
Swagester

Postby Stag76 » 20 Dec 2019 02:38

I always preferred this forum to FB, as its main focus is the cars, whereas, on FB, the focus
is on people.
PhotoBucket's changes to its business model almost put an end to these forums.

What is the preferred method for attaching pictures now?

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 20 Dec 2019 16:35

You can add pictures directly but you have to resize them with whatever photo program came with your computer that allows you to do this. Any size like 640x480 pixels or smaller will do.

FB et al do this automatically. Modern cameras and smart phones take such a large picture that you can print a poster out of them (screens don't need that many pixels). Digital cameras started out at 640x480 (about 1/3 megapixel) even the many thousand dollar professional ones which would fill up a 14" CRT screen, the problem was when you went to print them out they would be a couple inches by a couple inches. As technology advanced the picture sizes got bigger but what was required for screen shots didn't. Starting out as 1/3 megapixel cameras are now 16 - 20 megapixels so for viewing you only need a small fraction of that (as well as storage space).
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 21 Dec 2019 13:36

I use blogger and Google Foto's to store my low resolution online pictures.
And pretty easy to link them in forums from there. Indeed FB is much easier & quicker.
And it show in the number of posts :twisted: as a result everything is lost within a few days.
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 21 Dec 2019 16:34

Beans wrote:I use blogger and Google Foto's to store my low resolution online pictures.
And pretty easy to link them in forums from there. Indeed FB is much easier & quicker.
And it show in the number of posts :twisted: as a result everything is lost within a few days.

FB's business plan is to keep you coming back often so it changes every few minutes. The more clicks the more money it makes from the advertisements.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

hwadd
Wedgling

Postby hwadd » 21 Mar 2020 17:54

Toranarod,

That happened to me for about 2 years until last year!! I spoke to the blokes at the tssc they said to contact them via their fb page!! Which theTRDC membership secretary Simon Bryan did!! He contacted smith quite sarcastically andMr.Smith went of his head!! He called me a nob!! to be exact!! But I think he'd had several people pestering him whilst he was undergoing treatment for brain cancer!! Arggh!! So that was how it went!! But that was kinda why!!

HUGH

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 22 Mar 2020 10:39

Hi A of E.

I have a stock 7, & a 4.6L 8, both with a nicely set up stock steering rack. I am now 80 years of age, & do not find the steering too heavy. In fact I find if the rack & strut tops are well lubricated the steering is just perfect for high speed motoring, & adequate for a hoon through the mountains behind the Gold Coast.

I find it far better than the electric thing in my Honda S2000. Stick with the armstrong steering, & save the cost of a gym membership, you'll get all the upper body exercise you need for free.

Hasbeen