Anonymous

Best TR7 Stainless-Steel Exhaust?

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
supercass
Swagester

Best TR7 Stainless-Steel Exhaust?

Postby supercass » 04 Sep 2019 11:43

Anyone know of a decent quality stainless steel exhaust that fits first time utilizing the original brackets. Most of the after market ones "fit where they touch". Bell exhausts are supposed to be good quality and well-fitting but they haven't replied to my email.

supercass

busheytrader
TRemendous

Re: Best TR7 Stainless-Steel Exhaust?

Postby busheytrader » 04 Sep 2019 21:36

Have a word with Charlie at http://www.pro-speedexhausts.com before you make your decision on which system to go with.

I was looking for a S/S system for my V8. The collective experience by several members on this forum was that nothing off the shelf was available without major work at home to make it fit.

On the advice of a happy customer / forum member, I spoke to Charlie after ringing around the usual and not so usual stockists. Pro-speed manufacture the exhaust on the car. He listened to what I wanted from it, then quoted a price which undercut the the cheapest standard off the peg system by 35% and the most expensive by 150%. He made me a single pipe V8 system, tucked up to clear the nasty speed humps I have to straddle in my neighbourhood, with a single resonator box and back box. I wanted a mellow V8 burble at idle, a rorty noise under acceleration and a relatively quietish car at cruising speeds and he nailed it.

The considerations for me were; Pro-speed exhausts are in Cardiff and the car has to be driven there. I saved a considerable amount of money, for a system made to my requirements, that has a lifetime guarantee whilst the car is mine. I didn't have to make it fit as Charlie made it on the car, while I waited, and did all that for a lot less than an ill fitting system that I'd have to fit myself. It worked for me several years ago and the system still looks as good as new.

I appreciate the relative saving for a 4 pot could be less than an 8 pot, but have a word with pro-speed to see if they can help.

supercass
Swagester

Postby supercass » 05 Sep 2019 10:22

Thanks for that. Will contact them. Unfortunately though it has to be off the shelf as due to the condition of the existing exhaust it needs fitting before the car moves.
supercass

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 05 Sep 2019 12:46

Baked bean cans and a few exhaust clamps make a pretty good temporary repair!
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 05 Sep 2019 16:51

I've done that in the past with gardening wire, exhaust paste and patches of Diet Coke tin. :D

It would be interesting to see how the different options stack up

supercass
Swagester

Postby supercass » 06 Sep 2019 08:22

Cardiff is too far away for the baked bean can solution. I did try a cola can, somewhat thinner and it was blown off in a few moments suggesting that the baffles may be obstructing the flow. supercass

seven
Swagester

Postby seven » 06 Sep 2019 08:45

I fitted a Rimmer system to Ruby and it mounted to all the original brackets, which was removed from a V8 7 that I broke up, it looked fairly good and didn't seem to have any butchering done to fit.
Triumph TR7 DHC '81
Triumph 2.5 Estate '73
Triumph 2.5PI Saloon '69
Mercedes SLK250 '14
Mercedes SL55 AMG '02
Mercedes E320 '05
Chevrolet Camaro '93
Mitsubishi Canter '01
Volvo 262c '78
Peugeot J5 '91
Kawasaki GPZ '93

The car is unable to handle my driving capabilities

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 15 Sep 2019 20:43

I have been looking at adding a new Stainless-Steel Exhaust system to my standard 2lt engine and was looking at the ones that RobSport are selling.