Anonymous

Genuine Minilites or Panasports

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Sondar
Wedge Pilot

Genuine Minilites or Panasports

Postby Sondar » 07 Aug 2019 01:05

Hi All,

Just looking for some opinions on which is the better wheel. I'm not talking about cosmetic appearance - more about which is the better for quality of build, mass, durability and remaining "straight" (i.e. not prone to falling out of true).

I believe the Panasports are more expensive, but that doesn't always mean better - although I know from painful experience that you generally get what you pay for!

For the Minilites, I am referring to the cast ally version, not mags.
Sondar

1980 TR7V8 in Poseidon Green - 4.6 Rover V8, limited slip diff, front coil-overs, AP Racing 4-pot front brakes, leather interior. Last of 8 owners, mine since 1999 and no-one else is getting it...

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Re: Genuine Minilites or Panasports

Postby Hasbeen » 10 Aug 2019 01:11

Most modern wheels are up to scratch as far as strength. I reckon the most important thing with alloy wheels for our cars is the centring on the hub.

My first 7 came with some lovely wheels which had no centring. Remove a perfectly balanced wheel, & refit it in the same position on the hub, with the nuts in the same place & you had our dreaded wheel wobble return.

We fitted Symons wheels,[Ozzie made] which centre on the studs with conical nuts, & have never again had a wheel wobble from balance on that car since. Pity they have gone out of business, but if ever I see some second hand Symons wheels I will grab them for the 7.

I believe the late MG wheels also centre correctly, but have not proven this myself.

Hasbeen

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 10 Aug 2019 19:56

I have a set of Compomotive ML's (7Jx15") for my Sprint powered FHC and after a fair amount of use they are still in pretty good shape

1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

moestr7v8
Swagester

Postby moestr7v8 » 11 Aug 2019 10:35

I have a set of MG TF Hairpin alloys on my v8 and as Beans said they centre locate on the tapered nuts.
Look really good and have had no wheel wobble at all since I fitted them.
Cheers
Moe