Anonymous

Fitting LED replacement headlight bulbs

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Howard_B
Rust Hunter

Fitting LED replacement headlight bulbs

Postby Howard_B » 25 May 2019 15:06

I am considering fitting these replacement headlight bulbs from https://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=737 but need to check the gap behind the reflector and the headlamp enclosure to ensure that it fits (I don't have access to my car at the moment) so can anyone assist please?

Thanks

Howard

busheytrader
TRemendous

Re: Fitting LED replacement headlight bulbs

Postby busheytrader » 25 May 2019 18:33

Sorry, I can't help as I'm away from home at the moment.

I'm still running the original sealed beam headlights (with the power of fork handles) as I hardly drive the wedge at night. I kept a pair of Wipac H4 headlights from an old Mini we had but never got around to fitting them.

Howard_B
Rust Hunter

Postby Howard_B » 25 May 2019 20:12

Thanks for the comment. I have a couple of 50w driving lights in addition to the headlights which aren't bad but the LED's promise more light and less power so worth a punt so long as they fit..

Cheers

Howard

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 26 May 2019 18:17

These may not be legal in your jurestiction.
When your head lights were designed, a great deal of care would've be put into placing the filaments in position and orientaion with great precision, the element has to be in the exact right place in relation to the refector which in turn is focused on the lens, the trouble is when you source the light from any other method other then the standard format of H4 filament bulb, you would more than likely end up with a very poor light pattern dazzling on coming traffic and not illuminating the bits of the road you want.

You would be better off using proper 7" LED inserts like Beans has on his Blue TR7...........and use bloody relays, nothing cooks electronics like a crap power supply!

If you don't want to go to LED inserts, then I suggest using the best halogen bulbs on the market, Osram Nightbreaker Laser.........and you still should use relays!
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

Howard_B
Rust Hunter

Postby Howard_B » 26 May 2019 19:48

Point well noted about legality, but the rules are slowly changing in the UK.

Earlier this month I was visiting Perth WA and the local newsagent had copies of Triumph World (!) which had an interesting article on fitting the new range of LED replacement bulbs, including a discussion and tests of the beam pattern to show that they can meet the beam pattern requirements for the UK MOT.

My car already had relays fitted when I purchased it which take the headlamp and driving light loads without any problems.

The thing I need to confirm is if there is at least 40mm clearance between the reflector and the inside of the housing.

Cheers Howard