Anonymous

TR7 indicator fault (turn-signal)

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
gray
Wedgling

Postby gray » 21 Apr 2019 21:29

Hi everyone its a new year and its time to get her back on the road as i have been saying now for a while..
while checking lights and electrical stuff for mot, the havards lights work great but when i push the indicator stalk UP to turn right the indicators lights flash to the left ??..
i went through all the electrics a few years ago and have now forgoten where everything goes.
i have just ordered two thermo bitalic indicator relays and will try again next weekend...if any body has any ideas would be great. thank you

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 22 Apr 2019 09:16

The electronic flasher units are much better. Some have 3 connectors and need an additional earth (easy) and some are a straight replacement with only 2 connectors. The work better and flash at a constant rate even when idling. Main flasher unit is above (or normally dangling below) the steering column.

Make sure all earth connections are clean and tight and clean the fuse ends (back of the glovebox). Bad earths can do very funny things as the current earths through other components at times making them do the wrong thing. Also check/strip and clean the hazard switch as it all comes from there.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 22 Apr 2019 09:28

Sounds like it could be a bad earth serving the light cluster at one of the four corners that needs cleaning up?

It's also well worth changing the indicator flasher relay for one of the digital ones that are freely available while you're at it. SFB190 A direct replacement but needs an extra earth fitted which is simple. It gives a reliable flash instead of the standard one which slows down on idle, well it did on mine. The left side also used to flash slower than the right side. :(

Must have been replying around the same time, with the same thoughts.....

Howard_B
Rust Hunter

Re: TR7 indicator fault (turn-signal)

Postby Howard_B » 22 Apr 2019 11:50

I think the problem is with the wiring to the indicator switch. The Green/Red wire should go to the left indicator and the Green/White to the right indicators. It should be easy to check/reverse this electrically but as I never have taken mine apart not sure what is involved. The hazard and flasher relays are common to all circuits so changing them cannot change the indicator that flashes.

However do check you have good earths - I found my rear light clusters were insulated from the body earth by the foam rubber seals when I was refurbishing them, so check all earths very carefully & do no assume that they are there...

However changing the relays for electronic units (Indicator AND hazard) is a very good idea as it will ensure a constant flash rate and allow you to change to LED bulbs if you want.

gray
Wedgling

Re: TR7 indicator fault (turn-signal)

Postby gray » 22 Apr 2019 19:06

Hi thank you all for your comments..
i had a look today and found under the speaker cover on the top of the dashboard a bunch of wires coming from the instrument cluster arfter taking out the hazard switch and seeing what the coloured wires were i found two black spade conections in the bunch coming from cluster and swaped them over and hay presto we are all good.. ring up for a mot slot now and fingers crossed..