Anonymous

Dead in the garage.....

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
busheytrader
TRemendous

Dead in the garage.....

Postby busheytrader » 30 Mar 2019 20:18

The last few outings in the wedge have seen the starter motor a bit reluctant to fire up on the key. Yesterday it decided not to spin at all, luckily it was in the garage at the time.

Out with the starter motor, a lovely job with a V8, a nice tight fit next to the steering column and exhaust manifold. Jump leads were connected and the solenoid and starter motor both worked fine.

I removed the ignition module 218959 https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID006237 from the steering column. The casing was loose, it looked like a PO (there were 5 of them pre 1996) had opened it up. The casings metal tangs were misshapen. A quick call to Steve at S&S and a replacement item arrived the next morning and all was well again.

Amongst the original item's innards are 3 small coil springs, a tiny ball bearing, a circular spring, a copper plate of contacts etc etc. Good old analogue technology from the 1970's and I couldn't reassemble it in the right order if I tried.... photo will be posted if Imgur works with an IPad.

busheytrader
TRemendous

Re: Dead in the garage.....

Postby busheytrader » 26 Sep 2019 11:27

I had no electrical issues with the wedge until the day after the recent Classics on the Croxley Green / Carters steam fair.

I parked up in the garage straight afterwards, left it overnight and the starter wouldn't turn over, no solenoid click the next morning. The headlight lift motors and headlamps worked strongly so no battery issues. All other electrical connections looked good. The dashboard warning lights dimmed slightly when turning over the ignition key making me suspect the blue starter relay. I couldn't hear or feel a click from it when turning the key. (There's been a few posts about these failing after 40 to 45 years recently)

Luckily, an old style local motor factors had one sitting In a random box of electrical bits which solved the issue. It was cheap enough for a part also fitted to Aston Martin V8's and Jaguars back in the day.