Anonymous

Quality Issues

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
johnnyj
Rust Hunter

Quality Issues

Postby johnnyj » 05 Mar 2019 19:50

Hi folks

As some may know I am restoring a '77 Speke-built FHC and enjoying it very much. I come across many items in the rebuild which make me think "why did they build it like that?". However there's nothing really so far which makes me shudder.

I have been reading David Knowles' book which wonderfully chronicles the story of the TR7's development and he talks a lot about quality issues in the early days, but is a bit short on detail. Sure, we all know the headlamp motors needed sealing, the headlamps were temperamental and the A-pillar trims don't fit, but I wonder what specifically were the original pre-launch and immediately post-launch quality issues? I'd love to know what else didn't fit, or work, or broke off, or failed in those early months. For example, Mr Knowles illustrates the problem with the US press launch cars and describes how they had to cobble together something like 17 cars for review from a total of c30 shipped, but doesn't really go into detail.

It would be great to hear about which welds, panels, trim, switches, engine components etc were troublesome.

Likewise it would be fascinating to learn about which items got modified due to those early problems, aside from the obvious like the 5 speed gearbox etc.

Hopefully the TR7 historians can fill in!

Thanks

John
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977
http://t-r-7.blogspot.co.uk

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Re: Quality Issues

Postby FI Spyder » 06 Mar 2019 14:45

It would be interested to find out but I suspect you would have to interview the people from Bob Tullius's crew that did the work 44 years ago. It wasn't to find out what had to be corrected at the factory, it was to get as many press cars ready for the road as possible in a very limited amount of time so I'll bet nothing was documented.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

John_C
Rust Hunter

Postby John_C » 17 Mar 2019 08:27

Now an interview with Bob Tullius would really be something special. Imagine that!
The Best TR7 & TR8 Documentaries Ever Produced Available Here:
www.triumphdvd.co.uk

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 17 Mar 2019 16:12

johnnyj wrote: ... It would be great to hear about which welds, panels, trim, switches, engine components etc were troublesome ...

Looking at my current project ('76 FHC) I get the impression that overal quality control was lacking badly @ Speke, resulting in appalling panel fits.
More info in my blog (https://tr7beans.blogspot.com/search/label/Restoration%20FHC) and in particular the posts FHC resto nr. 10 - 16.
This car's body had seen almost no welding in the past. Also no accident damage that could have caused the bad body parts fit.

1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/