Anonymous

Daily driver

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
skertonman
Scuttle Shaker

Daily driver

Postby skertonman » 18 Jan 2019 20:48

Well due to family reasons I've been having to use the 7 as a daily driver for the last month or so, I thought I'd share my experiences.

I've been commuting to and from work, 30 mile round trip mainly fast A roads.

So far I've had a blow out on the nearside rear, requiring new tyre.
The radiator has now started to weep near the top inlet.
Got pulled for having a duff light, so had to change a couple of rear bulb holders.
Due to the cold weather the car can be like a freezer to defrost inside on a cold morning, and takes ages to warm up, the thermostat is working, as opposed to the heater which is a little on the cool side.
Cold starting isn't a problem, but juggling the choke in or out as it warms up can be a pain, petrol consumption is approx 30mpg, if I'm lucky.

And to top it all, it's killing my knees trying to get in and out.

Getting my modern car back soon, can't wait just to get in turn the key and have an uneventful warm drive to work, sorry but there it is, I've officially gone soft in my old age.

Beans
TRemendous

Re: Daily driver

Postby Beans » 19 Jan 2019 00:10

skertonman wrote: ... And to top it all, it's killing my knees trying to get in and out ...

You're clearly getting old :mrgreen:
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 19 Jan 2019 10:09

30 mpg isn't bad for an A road commute. I was lucky to get 22mpg on a suburban commute and 33mpg on a motorway cruise back in the day.

Like our knees, wedges also require more sympathy and attention as they get older :D

kstrutt1
Wedge Pilot

Postby kstrutt1 » 19 Jan 2019 21:16

I've used mine many a time as a daily, in my case though it is a v8 on LPG, no warm up to worry about and the heater is piping hot inside a couple of miles (actually better then my diesel modern) need to be a bit carefull when it gets wet or icy though!

On my wifes mx5 we stick a fan heater in the footwell for 30 minutes before my wife goes to work, works a treat to de-ice and de-mist it.

kevin