Anonymous

New owner (TR7 V8 FHC URW450X)

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Paule
Wedgling

Re: New owner (TR7 V8 FHC URW450X)

Postby Paule » 14 Oct 2018 11:14

Cheers Hasbeen for the window advice. Had noticed Rimmers sell replacement strips but have also read not the greatest of fits. Will try adhesive first.

Paule
Wedgling

Postby Paule » 14 Oct 2018 11:16

Cheers Rich K like to hear about your progress on your rebuild and what replacement parts you fit.

Paule
Wedgling

Postby Paule » 14 Oct 2018 11:29

Spent several hours yesterday preparing metalwork for rollover jig. Got caught out by this. Made 2 fixing plates for front bumper pick up points then used one as a copy and made up the 2 rear plates. Removed rear bumper went to fit them and what the heck the hole pitches are different and holes are smaller diameter. :(
Brackets now sorted, lesson learnt check first. These bumpers are going to get modified and lightened.

Paule
Wedgling

Postby Paule » 14 Oct 2018 11:41

Just come across this while browsing. Pictures taken before my purchase.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR8-V8-full- ... 1438.l2649
Have to say they do look good on the car albeit not what's original.

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 16 Oct 2018 21:53

Paule wrote:Cheers Brianc for welcome. S&S conversion, sound nice. Is there any tell tale sign that they use when they did a conversion? I don't know who did this one.

I converted my 7 to V8 close to 30 years ago using a Kit from S and S. All the components apart from the mild steel exhaust system are still on the car.

Their TR7V8 subframe was a modified 2 litre item giving more engine to bonnet clearance than the original item without resorting to spacers under the chassis rails to clear SU carbs. I don't know the measurements that would tell them apart.

Additionally their kits included mild steel tubular manifolds which are still going strong. If you have cast iron Rover SD1 exhaust manifolds fitted then you may have a Grinnall conversion like my pal used to have.

Steve from S and S pops up on the forum every now and again so may be able to point towards distinguishing features on their parts.

Adam

Paule
Wedgling

Postby Paule » 20 Oct 2018 22:59

Drivers window now sorted. Found it not too bad a job. Removed the glass that was easy as it was just hanging there then removed the window regulator. Cleaned out old brittle hard rubber from channel for the window.
Refitted new weather strip this time with the clips! Refitted the regulator. Put it up to its highest point and filled the channel with Sikaflex. Lowered window regulator to its lowest point. Refitted glass and taped to window frame to keep it up, then raised regulator until window channel just coming in contact with the window checked alignment all ok then wound window to the top of its stroke pushing window into the Sikaflex. Re-positined tape to hold window.
Tips that worked for me. I removed the large thin hex nut. I opened up the end of the guide roller runner channel at the top of the door, this made it easy to remove regulator. For removing and replacing regulator I closed all the arms down tight and lifting the non regulator side high up into the door (door lock) was able to get it out the lower hole.
Took me just over 3 hours to do. See how long it lasts!
Thanks to Hasbeen suggestion to use Sikaflex wasn't a messy job.