Anonymous

New owner (TR7 V8 FHC URW450X)

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Paule
Wedgling

New owner (TR7 V8 FHC URW450X)

Postby Paule » 09 Oct 2018 10:16

Hello to all.
Many thanks for the acceptance, a bit about how I got here.
I am very new to the Triumph TR7-TR8 scene having just recently acquired this 1981 TR7 V8 conversion.
URW 450X.
This car has previously been listed on here
Rico’s TR7 V8 FHC Project URW 450X.
Below are his posts which gives the history of the car save me repeating it.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21580
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22967
I’ve also taken a leap of faith in this car, it has done 16 miles in 13 years (all of this was done by Rico getting the car MOT for selling) I bought the car knowing it needs more work.
Had the car transported to me as I wasn’t prepared to drive it 121 miles untested even with MOT!
I’ve now had the car up on a ramp and the underside doesn’t reflect the top shiny side! It’s not that bad just lots of rusty components, few small patches required, bushes, ball joints etc. Bad oil leaks from engine/box suspect crankshaft seal.
All in all, a happy chap, in love with the V8 noise :D. I was lucky enough to be in my early 20’s when I watched them being raced and rallied.
So got me a 37year old classic project, can get spares easily, it’s a V8 with torque and noise, AP 4 pot brakes, Koni suspension and springs, big radiator, proper conversion.
In anticipation of the help and knowledge I will no doubt be asking for.
I'm in Carnoustie, Angus, Scotland - Any fellow enthusiast near me?

rugbyref1
Site Admin

Re: New owner (TR7 V8 FHC URW450X)

Postby rugbyref1 » 09 Oct 2018 11:26

Hi Paul (& welcome),

There are a lot of members on here who are always happy to help with advice.

I know Stevie is up you way, i'm sure a few others will make themselves known :)

Best of luck with it.
Christopher

A respectable collection.

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 10 Oct 2018 20:32

Not what you call near you, but good luck with the car.
And more importantly, have fun :wink:
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

Paule
Wedgling

Postby Paule » 10 Oct 2018 21:24

Cheers Beans. Have already spent many hours looking through your excellent blog!
After spending some time lying on my back and then removing front bumper (why so heavy) decided that's enough for me so I've started to build a car rollover jig to make life easier on the old bones.
Sure I will have many questions. :)

stevie_a
TRemendous

Postby stevie_a » 11 Oct 2018 18:07

rugbyref1 wrote:
I know Stevie is up you way, i'm sure a few others will make themselves known :)

As beans said "Not what you call near" :D

2 hour drive from me !

But welcome Paul, there are a few of us dotted all over Scotland Peter Grant the area contact.

You can tell him i sent you :D

http://www.trdrivers.club/
If it's not broke don't fix it.

Brianc
Rust Hunter

Postby Brianc » 11 Oct 2018 19:03

Welcome

I also have a well sorted (s&s) and. Love it to bits !!!

Yes it has some oil leaks but it is glorious!!!!

Im in lancs

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 12 Oct 2018 16:02

A couple of points. Although this is someone's previous project, some advice I give any new owner.
First electrics: Take the time to go through the car and clean every electrical connection with contact cleaner and put a thin film of dielectric grease on it and reconnect. I did this 12 years ago and have never had an electrical problem other than battery clamp loose on wire, broken 12V wire in console from removing radio one too many times (different issue) rather than go from electrical problem to electrical problem.

Rubber: Rubber hoses, belts etc. have a life expectancy whether used or not. Expect to replace these with brand name stuff when possible and expect to replace them every few years if not as much rubber is substandard these days.

Re: oil leaks. Gaskets. O rings etc. may well be hardened by this time and leak. I replaced mine as I got to them and over the past 12 years the car has leaked less than my Toyota and Acura. I did have an oil leak starting a few years ago and thinking the O rings where gone in the oil pump area started taking things apart, it turned out the valve cover fumes that get filtered at the cover and get sucked into air hose (FI) before throttle body where condensing in the U shape n a puddle of oil and leaking through the hose. Everything was still leak free. I still have a leak at rear seal of transmission which I haven't replaced yet. Oil leaks can be hard to pinpoint as the air flow of moving lows them back and oil leak may be ahead of where it's actually dripping from.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 12 Oct 2018 16:08

Paule wrote:Cheers Beans. Have already spent many hours looking through your excellent blog!
After spending some time lying on my back and then removing front bumper (why so heavy) decided that's enough for me so I've started to build a car rollover jig to make life easier on the old bones.
Sure I will have many questions. :)

+1 for the rollover jig...... I've had enough bits fall down on me when welding the underside of a classic Mini.

Adam

Paule
Wedgling

Postby Paule » 12 Oct 2018 21:25

Cheers stevie-a for welcome and area contact. Will follow it up. Your not tooooo far away!

Paule
Wedgling

Postby Paule » 12 Oct 2018 21:28

Cheers Brianc for welcome. S&S conversion, sound nice. Is there any tell tale sign that they use when they did a conversion? I don't know who did this one.

Paule
Wedgling

Postby Paule » 12 Oct 2018 21:51

Cheers F1Spyder for welcome. Your 100% on the money with your advice. Having now thoroughly seen the underside and lack of mechanical work (ie none, apart from brakes for MOT! )due to age and for my piece of mind I will be changing all bushes, ball joints, rubber hoses (already have bought a set) etc.etc.
The electrics I got a problem. The engine bay has been sprayed roughly with some ????. The front wiring loom is now all just one color Black!, great for future fault finding. Have already noted bad pitted connector pins so will do what your advise. Will get a better look when I've got engine out.

Paule
Wedgling

Postby Paule » 12 Oct 2018 22:06

Cheers busheytrader. Jig is the way to go. Making it up from scrap parts lying about the garage..... some old 5 stud front wheel hubs fitted on an "A" frame with tie bar/brackets picking up the bumper points. Going save my old bones and make life a lot easier.

Paule
Wedgling

Postby Paule » 12 Oct 2018 22:32

Here we go, cars fighting back.
Went to lower the drivers window, it got 1/2 way then clonk, window has come out of runners and weather strip which Rico replaced just fell out. No clips. Removed door trim panel it looks as if the glass has detached from the window lifting assembly. Ran out time so will check later.
Another sign to check everything out.

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 13 Oct 2018 06:07

Hi Paule, I'll add a welcome to the fold from Oz.

If your window has come out of the frame, it is a job for insertion rubber, to do as traditional. I did one in the 8 about 10 years back, & still remember it with horror.

I did it with the winder mechanism in the door, after much swearing putting a lifter & window back on the rollers in the 7. Once you wet the insertion rubber with metho [from memory] the surface turns to a black goo, which wants to get on everything.

If I were to do it again I would stick the rubber into the channel, & the window into the rubber with Sikaflex, which would be a much cleaner job.

Hasbeen

Rich K
Wedge Pilot

Postby Rich K » 13 Oct 2018 09:22

Hi Paule and welcome. Looking forward to reading about your progress with the car. I have just had my convertible back from being painted and am preparing to start to put her back together so I guess we will both be busy over the winter!
Cheers, Rich.
1980 TR7 drophead now repainted and started refitting plus V8 upgrade
1977 TR7 fixedhead awaiting restoration
1981 TR7 drophead bodywork now done, mechanicals next then final paint
Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Jaguar XKR Supercharged